Possible Horse Tooth

Robbie

A friend of mine went fishing at this location.  He found an object that he wanted me to identified.  To the best of my research, I have discovered that this is a possible horse tooth (3L Molar) and it is fossilized.  I am guessing it could be 16 - 18 million years old. 

I would love to hear more from you guys on this. 

20190423_200943.jpg

20190423_200931.jpg

20190423_201016.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

That's a sweet tooth. It would be helpful if you got more tooth and less fingers to see up close top view

20190423_201016.jpg.3ae78966668e5643bc87ba81a86cecf0.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Not a horse expert but the roots look funny for equine. Maybe a 3 toed horse if equine???????????????????????????????? Lets see what the experts say.

Mike

This is great!  So it's a Bovid P4, and I looked it up.  It could be closely resembled as a Antelope.  I can see that.  Now, by the judgement of the picture, could anybody guess what the age is? 

17 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Not a horse expert but the roots look funny for equine. Maybe a 3 toed horse if equine???????????????????????????????? Lets see what the experts say.

Mike

That's what I closely can guess, and the research that I did before I posted this on here did lead me to a 3 toed horse, which has been long gone. 

2 hours ago, Robbie said:

That's what I closely can guess, and the research that I did before I posted this on here did lead me to a 3 toed horse, which has been long gone. 

After scrolling the geologic map. That specific spot and all around that spot are Pleistocene, meaning this tooth was very likely 2.5 - 0.0117 million years ago from the Ice Age, back when Neanderthals covered Europe and Woolly Mammoths and Rhinoceros roamed the US.

Something interested is, if you simply go about 4 or 3 miles south, you will reach a huge shale deposit of Permian era fossils. It says 26 different Permian species were found here. That specific spot is 276.3 million years old. If you're going for age, its not far away.

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, Robbie said:

This is great!  So it's a Bovid P4, and I looked it up.  It could be closely resembled as a Antelope.  I can see that.  Now, by the judgement of the picture, could anybody guess what the age is? 

It's most likely a lower premolar four (p4) from a bison which would make it Pleistocene to Recent.  The gross size of these teeth is variable just like the size of the living animals.

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I am very thankful to all of you who shared some knowledge on this.   This just brought me back being a kid living in Utah where I saw so many fossils and loved exploring these things.   So I am very pleased with your help on this.  Thank you all.