Bone found in Washington State creek

Zenmaster6

I found this bone in a ditch with no teeth marks or chewing on it. 
Obviously I believe this is modern as it still smelled of death and decay (I ran it under soap and boiling water and then rubbed it with sanitizer. and even then I don't touch it without a napkin)

I was curious if my hypothesis was correct about this being a deer femur bone?
I wasn't sure because I'm no bone expert but maybe someone here knows, all I know is we have deer, bears, cougars and possibly elk or moose but that would be rare.

This was found in a creek by Murdock beach Washington State on the Olympic Peninsula (temperate rain forest conditions near large ocean.)

58741831_1434346550041654_8223053155521265664_n.jpg

58781531_554710091603952_1145379310106836992_n.jpg

58375155_273666106912225_5904916627056492544_n.jpg

This looks good for deer. It is a humerus, missing the unfused proximal humeral head.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Osteobyte said:

This looks good for deer.

The deer might not have seen it that way. ;)

I agree completely with the ID. 

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:08 PM, Osteobyte said:

This looks good for deer. It is a humerus, missing the unfused proximal humeral head.

Thank you for your knowledge. What a let down. I was told by someone it was a cougar humerus.

A cougar numerous has an epicondicular foramen, a hole that would be near the right end of all your photos. 

• I found this Informative 3

3 minutes ago, fossilus said:

A cougar numerous has an epicondicular [sic] foramen, a hole that would be near the right end of all your photos. 

Right you are!

entepiconcloseup.jpg.e0c3fd9db58906b5a47e7d330007b6f0.jpg

A close-up of the entepicondylar foramen of a small, Early Miocene mustelid.

This canal occurs near the distal end of the humeri of many taxa. This is the canal traversed by the median nerve and the brachial artery which is called the entepicondylar foramen (EECF).

An EECF is found neither on the humeri of perissodactyls (horses, tapirs, et al.) nor on the humeri of artiodactyls (antelopes, camels, et al.), nor is it found in lagomorphs (rabbits and such).

The EECF is absent in hyaenids, bears, and canids (including foxes and chihuahuas).

The EECF is present in didelphids (opossums) and in shrews and moles! (Micro-fossil collectors take note.)

The EECF is present in felids, in viverrids (all Old World), in amphicyonids (bear-dogs), and in mustelids (weasels and skunks) and procyonids (raccoons).

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks Harry!  20190502_195112.thumb.jpg.852dc228da4d36647b0b83397e71c76a.jpgThis is a photo of a cougar humerus showing the EECF, just like Harry's mustelid humerus.  The 7-10 scale is in inches, the total length of the humerus is right at 9 inches.

Thanks everyone. I'll probably ditch this if its a deer bone. Its smells rank anyways :sick: