Need to Repair Plant Fossil in Shale

MarielleK

Hello all. I recently received a fossil branch in delicate shale. It wasn't packaged well and arrived broken. It is a shame. I want to know what the best way is to repair it and hide the cracks. The first picture is what it looked like before it was sent to me. Thank you! 

ps: if anyone knows what it is an ID would be appreciated as well, but my primary concern is the best way to repair it. 

IMG_7153.JPG

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

try white glue

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

That's a shame. :( If it were mine, I'd be carefully putting the pieces in place and wicking it with cyanoacrylate (super glue), removing any excess. The major break might require something more than just super glue (unless you have a lot of it and can keep it clamped without the shale buckling). After, perhaps some sort of surface consolidant. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I would use a thick superglue (cyanoacrylate) only apply the glue to the centre of the break as it will spread when clamped. To much glue and it will keep the break apart almost like bricks and mortar. Champing you’re have to be very careful maybe rubber bands will work well but I am not sure how fragile the rock is so I can’t help with this. Don’t rush it and I think it will go back together nicely. Good luck Bobby 

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

Where is it from to give a better idea for ID?

It was found in a coal mine in Alabama (not by me). 

I would use super glue to repair it as well. You never want to use white glue on a fossil as it degrades over time (takes several decades but it happens and it’s nasty when it does). 

Then, if the cracks really bother you, you can fill them with an epoxy putty and paint it.

• I found this Informative 3

Marielle,  you might have something similar to these for your fern fronds. 

20190425_213251.jpg

Lygenopteris hoeninghousi 

Jefferson County, Alabama

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

This may be 'TMI' but I found this page on adhesives/consolidants:

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/amateur-collector/preparation/

I only wish I knew what was going to happen to all the shale fossils I reassembled/stabilized with WeldBond white glue before I started using Acryloid... On some of my earlier specimens it appears as if the glue has expanded (from humidity?) and pushed the gaps apart slightly, though it may be only that I was less careful in the early days about making sure joints were tight when adding the glue. I just don't remember. I do know that if I happen to give a fossil a quick rinse, any cracks that were filled with WeldBond will quickly turn white, as if the glue is rehydrating. (That can't be good.) I haven't yet noticed any yellowing or crumbling or anything else. (Of course you generally want to avoid washing delicate fossils that may turn to mush or flakes upon contact with water (depends on the specimen), when a soft brush will do in cleaning them, but if you do, be sure to let it dry completely -over days, not hours, I would think- before adding glue, and then it should never need any more treatment if you store it in a good clean/dry environment.)

• I found this Informative 1