Hogtown Creek finds

spcchap

Hey everyone,

Here's some of my finds at Hogtown Creek in Gainesville, FL.  I'm pretty confident those are some juvenile meg teeth.  Both found next to each other in some heavy clay deposits, which explains the coloration.  I was hoping maybe I could soak them in something to bring out the enamel color..  Any ideas?  Not sure about the other fossils.  Is that some sort of prehistoric cephalopod?  The fossil next to it is smooth on the bottom, and I can only describe it as looking like an upside down mushroom.

On the other picture, someone else told me the one was a crocodile tooth (what kind??).  The one next to that is a complete mystery - but a very cool looking find.  It's broke, but the back has two sharp points.  

Any help you can provide in ID'ing these fossils would be greatly appreciated!!

Sam

IMG-0766.thumb.JPG.fa49386c22574acee83d446919d0c41c.JPG

IMG-0767.JPG

First picture, left side might be croc or gator, I'll let others more familiar answer that. The "mystery" next to it I believe is a catfish spine.

20190425_155253.png

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

And don't forget to hit the Santa Fe.  It seems that the river level is still falling.  Good luck.

13 hours ago, caldigger said:

First picture, left side might be croc or gator, I'll let others more familiar answer that. The "mystery" next to it I believe is a catfish spine.

I think you solved the mystery!  Thanks!  It definitely looks like the pictures of catfish spine that I am seeing now.  So happy to have gotten this one solved, but my dreams of discovering a new Martian species of shark have been dashed, LOL.

Ocean catfish pectoral spines don't have symmetrical bases.  The "mystery" bone appears to have a symmetrical base.  Perhaps this is a fish axial spine (the Priscacara sp. is an example, not an ID).

fish_catfishspines.jpg

fishfinspinesnook.JPG

fish_fin_spine_priscacara.JPG

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest