Praefectus

Hello. I purchased some tiger shark teeth and was hoping to get some ID help. The teeth come from various locations in Florida. The largest tooth is 1.25 inches (~3.2 cm). All the teeth have complex serrations. I believe the first row (#1-6) come from Galeocerdo mayumbensis. I am unsure about the second row and think they may be either Galeocerdo cuvier or Galeocerdo mayumbensis. Below are front and back pictures of the teeth. Thanks for any help. 

Tiger Shark Teeth.jpg

Tiger Shark Teeth Back.jpg

Nice teeth!  I believe the upper row to all be G. mayumbensis except for the far left (#1), and the lower row to all be G. cuvier, based upon one or more these traits:

1. The U-shaped rather than V-shaped base of the root.
  2. The laterally compressed nature of the G. mayumbensis teeth reflective of the v-shaped root which also makes them more erect.
  3. Coarser serrations

As for tooth number 1, I'm not positive. If forced, I'd say G. cuvier, or maybe transitional?? I have several of these type of teeth that display characteristics of both, and I have tentatively identified them as G. mayumbensis/cuvier.

Side note: I lost out on online on an auction for a grouping of teeth like these in the last two weeks. I'm wondering if these are them, LOL

• I found this Informative 3

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

This may help for comparison. I use it quite frequently and borrowed it originally from fossilguy.com.

fossil-tiger-sharks.thumb.jpg.a179e59405fbfefa17654b9dcdd2bc91.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Thanks for the ID help @hemipristis. I originally grouped #1 with the mayumbensis teeth thinking that it might be a back tooth. I see that it does have characteristics of both. 

We probably were looking at the same listing. Two weeks is the right time-frame. I snatched these up as soon as I saw the mayumbensis teeth in it. I used to think they were a rare and expensive species, but I've recently seen a lot them are just mislabeled as G. cuvier