jpc

cool...the broken one is the base of a saw fish rostral tooth....Pristichampsus?  I do not know Kem Kem fossils as well as some folks on here.  Looks like fun.  

The well dive looks like fun...

OwlEyes
9 minutes ago, jpc said:

cool...the broken one is the base of a saw fish rostral tooth....Pristichampsus?  I do not know Kem Kem fossils as well as some folks on here.  Looks like fun.  

Thanks jpc.  I is good to know what it is.

caldigger
34 minutes ago, jpc said:

The ones I have from Kem Kem came labeled as Onchopristis numudus.

It looks like you had a great time. I guess the "well excursion" is definately not for the claustrophobic! 

OwlEyes
13 minutes ago, caldigger said:

The ones I have from Kem Kem came labeled as Onchopristis numudus.

It looks like you had a great time. I guess the "well excursion" is definately not for the claustrophobic! 

Thanks caldigger, we had more than a great time.  The scenery is breathtaking and every where we went, fossils are all over.

connorp

That large ammonite-filled rock is spectacular. Never knew fossils were that dense there. Thanks for sharing.

Wrangellian

That place looks like the surface of Mars!

It's worth picking up natural/weathered ammonoid/orthocone pieces when you're there, as they are usually only available in markets as polished 'artworks'.

Thanks for the tour.  :popcorn:

caterpillar
3 hours ago, jpc said:

You make a mistake. Pristichampsus is a croc. This tooth is Onchopristis

caterpillar

And no ammonites in this level. There are Goniatites

Monica

It looks like you had a great hunt - I especially like the orthoconic nautiloids - congratulations! :dinothumb:

Troodon

Very cool, great photos, the first Spinosaurid tooth is beautiful.  Thanks for sharing.  

Tidgy's Dad
4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

It's worth picking up natural/weathered ammonoid/orthocone pieces when you're there, as they are usually only available in markets as polished 'artworks'.

Yup. 

Various areas around here are used for testing Lunar/ Mars Rovers and the like. 

Tidgy's Dad

The goniatite and orthocerid layer is Devonian, probably Lower Devonian, while the area with just orthocerids which are probably largely from the family Geisonoceratidae is likely Upper Silurian. 

I went collecting in the same region in February. Great fun.

Glad you found some nice fossils. :)

RJB

Great report and  looks like you folks had a great time.  Some very nice pics too.  Wish I was there, and also, there is not enough moneys in the world to make me go down that well hole!!!  Yikes!

RB

OwlEyes
2 hours ago, RJB said:

Great report and  looks like you folks had a great time.  Some very nice pics too.  Wish I was there, and also, there is not enough moneys in the world to make me go down that well hole!!!  Yikes!

RB

Yes, it is scary.  That iwell is new and only 1/2 the depth of the old one.  Also after going down there, there are tunnel to go under.  I am so afraid that it is collapse so I kept telling my husband to go back up and decided to buy the teeth instead of digging ourselves.

OwlEyes
1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The goniatite and orthocerid layer is Devonian, probably Lower Devonian, while the area with just orthocerids which are probably largely from the family Geisonoceratidae is likely Upper Silurian. 

I went collecting in the same region in February. Great fun.

Glad you found some nice fossils. :)

Thank you for the information.  The guide only tell me the age of the rock but no other information.  I love to learn more about the area and I do read your reports.  It is very informative and I learn a lot.  Thanks.

OwlEyes
5 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Yes, I love the natural fossils a lot more than the polished one.  After polished, it doesn't feel like fossil anymore :).

OwlEyes
1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Very cool, great photos, the first Spinosaurid tooth is beautiful.  Thanks for sharing.  

I love that tooth too only that I bought it.  I always want to find the fossil myself but those wells are too scary for me :) and I really want a dinosaur tooth so I have to buy.  It is my first one.

PaulK

Thank you for creating this thread, OwlEyes. 

OwlEyes
8 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Thank you for creating this thread, OwlEyes. 

You are welcome.  I read report from other members almost everyday so I need to pay back :).