Plantguy

Hey Gang, 

Looking for some help on what these guys are. Family and/or Genus would be great.

Probably Tampa member of the Arcadia formation? Hillsborough county, Florida. Miocene?

5cc2f331cb8f8_UnknowngastropodTampamemberoftheArcadiaformation.thumb.jpg.b1c82ad91e745bc98929a96c73936ae7.jpgHere's unfortunately a real lousy comparative photo of the other specimen, but with a much better view of the shape of the aperature. 

5cc2f36f7b20b_Unknowngastropodpanorama2.thumb.jpg.bbfba3d6c5412895506d5541ab2f813e.jpg

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Regards, Chris 

Hi Chris

Its younger than Miocene probably from Caloosahatchee spoil.  Freshwater snail Planorbella scalaris (Jay, 1839).

• I found this Informative 2

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

32 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Hi Chris

Its younger than Miocene probably from Caloosahatchee spoil.  Freshwater snail Planorbella scalaris (Jay, 1839).

Thanks Mike! Cant ask for anything better than genus and species....I was thinking it might be fresh water as it looked very familiar but for the life of me I drew a complete blank--I did go thru some photos and did look at Planorbella but apparently missed this one for sure...dang.... So here's some of the other rather smallish inverts that the Planorbella was with in a very clay rich loose sandy matrix...Do you see anything in these that might be diagnostic/an index fossil or as an assemblage and could confirm Caloosahatchee? that would be really cool. Are any of the Cerithium types that unique/formation specific?  The geologic map shows Peace River Formation and Arcadia formation around here but there is a smattering of QU--undifferentiated in the general area. 

5cc3217942206_MoreunknownsHillsboroughcounty.thumb.jpg.fd848f942f7d99a7f2cb7f536396daa9.jpg

Thanks again. 

Regards, Chris  

Carditamera floridana

Tucetona pectinata

Anomalocardia caloosana

All are Plio-Pleistocene.  So are the others.  I have an ID on the freshwater snail however I am on the FPS trip this weekend and it will have to wait until tomorrow when I am back home.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Hey Mike, thanks! No rush at all--happy to simply have what youve already provided and another ID isnt needed necessary unless you really have the time. I think I've pushed my request quota for the month already! 

I've been sorting thru more of the matrix and here are additional small components...shark/ray teeth fragments, some small rounded white clay pebbles--only very tiny what I think are phosphate remnants, a few boring clams and their crypts/traces and another snail represented by at least 4 specimens at the top of this photo. 

5cc6417b25409_PlioPleistoceneHillsboroughadditionalmarinevertandinvertfinds.thumb.jpg.b2cfe2ead0d257262c8eaa34866b2b8b.jpg

Hope the FPS trip went well. You'll have to show us some finds!

Regards, Chris