Quick trip to my local beach

Sjfriend

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

Nice leaf plates!

(btw Metasequoia is one word)

You say you put that big piece on your deck - I guess you don't have room for it inside, but I would not expect something like that to last one Alaskan winter outdoors, would it?

1200 sq ft house so not much free space for big pieces.  The big ones will be on the covered deck so will stay dry. The winter would kill most of them if got wet since the rock fractures every which way. It does split well in thicker slabs but not so much in thinner ones. I am consolidating the keepers with Vinac to help.

I guess that's the best you can do. I've got a local leaf fossil outside and it was rained on already (the night I brought it home!)..

50 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I guess that's the best you can do. I've got a local leaf fossil outside and it was rained on already (the night I brought it home!)..

A little rain doesn't do much of anything here. It's the freeze that kills it. We've found many that have been exposed for at least a couple years that the prints are still good as long as they are out of the surf. The carbon is long gone but the print is good. Depends on which layer it comes out of, some are fragile and soft and some are very hard. Collected quite a few from the beach before I took the time and found the main seam.

I know what you mean, but the stuff around here can be weakened by getting wet, and has to be handled carefully or consolidated somehow, and then there's the green stuff that grows all over anything that sits in the shade and damp for any length of time!