Robust foot claw from the Kem Kem

msantix

Hi,

Another question about a foot claw from the Kem Kem Beds. This is a weird looking claw that may or may not be theropod. It is quite robust and is 7cm in length, though i am having trouble telling which angles of the claw the photos come from. It does look like the underside has a couple of circular depression spots which could indicate theropod, though i am not confident and wanted to ask for opinions whether theropod is the likely candidate. Thanks.

spinosaurus-dinosaur-fossil-tooth-18.thumb.jpg.ddbb33927e11892f1f5e4eb332362bfe.jpg

spinosaurus-dinosaur-fossil-tooth-17.jpg.7298030bbbabc474b17b414dbfca861e.jpg

spinosaurus-dinosaur-fossil-tooth-19.jpg.c017ac1f676ea8fce98db2c9f000b85d.jpg

spinosaurus-dinosaur-fossil-tooth-20.jpg.d4ef6823c75c5675ce1d361cebbd9156.jpg

spinosaurus-dinosaur-fossil-tooth-21.jpg.4645d00b28db6b5e8939a301dfb4387e.jpg

It's hard to tell because there isn't a good side view. But there look to be possible grooves on the sides which would indicate Theropod. The dimples on the underside seem consistent with a pedal ungual of a Spinosaur. The robustness is also pretty consistent with this. While it's a fairly small claw; there are both very large and very small juvenile Spinosaurs present in the Kem Kem beds.

So yeah, possible Spinosaur foot claw.

Here's a good paper that might be useful.

https://peerj.com/articles/4785/

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Very difficult to say what it is.  Dinosaurian claws typically have blood grooves down each side not visible on your specimen.  Although the dimples are seen on Spinosaurid foot claws the ventral surface is fairly flat.  Not sure its dinosaurian  dont know, but its an interesting claw.

Interesting, so if it theropod then Spinosaurid is the obvious candidate, but hard to see any blood groves so it may not be from a theropod. The claw does look a bit weathered and i am trying to think about what else a claw like this might be from, maybe croc? sauropod? not sure many other options exist, so it might just be a guess, but i am leaning to either a Spinosaurid or a croc of some sort.

The lateral profile also does not fit any spinosaurid claws Ive seen.  The dimples also extend to the outer edges which is very unusual. I dont see sauropod

I am curious if there are any papers on the crocs from the Kem Kem and what their claws might look like (Elosuchus, Hamadasuchus etc), because the fossil in question has me stumped. 

The dimples in that claw look a lot like this claw (extend outwards), but this claw is much thinner. I think by process of elimination the robust claw might be croc.IMG_5189.thumb.jpg.148e656516641673faaf08da37b30a22.jpgIMG_5190.thumb.jpg.bfdbdc53cb14358850d1c6de61a0a8bb.jpg

IMG_5187.thumb.jpg.702705a855a14d08d8ba73d057ae04a5.jpgIMG_5188.thumb.jpg.02d32683ef983a9450ec98fb8cabd9f4.jpg

I agree the morphology of the second one  fits that of a Spinosaurid foot claw without question.   Not much is published Croc or Dino and everything Ive seen from the Dino end is included in my kem kem claw post.   Not much is known from the fauna especially claws.   It could be dinosaurian but it currently does not match any known critter.

Do you have the first claw in your possession? If so taking some high resolution pictures would be very helpful. 

I don't have the claw, but it is on sale so chances are i will purchase it regardless of the id. I am having a look at some pictures of modern day croc claws (not the most reliable method) and they look quite different. I am also wondering about if it could be from a large turtle since turtles of somewhat large sizes did exist in the Kem Kem (Galianemys for example), but then the claws of modern day turtles (of various families) still look different. 

I am coming to the conclusion that a claw like these is probably unidentifiable for the near future, but sometimes part of the fun is guessing and wondering what the fossil might be from!.  

The reason I am asking for closer pictures is the claw looks worn and this is exceptionally common for some fossils in this formation.

18 minutes ago, Haravex said:

The reason I am asking for closer pictures is the claw looks worn and this is exceptionally common for some fossils in this formation.

I can pm you the link to the website where you can zoom in on the pics if that might help.