New Jersey Cretaceous help

frankh8147

Hello! 

I have two fossils I found in Monmouth County, NJ, I would like to get some opinions on.

The first one looks a lot like my other Mosasaur Verts (concave on one side, convex on the other, size and shape look right) however, it has that divot on one side so I was wondering if that could throw croc into play.

The second one, which I believe to be reptile bone, has those four equally spaced lines on it so I want to know if we think they are predatory/scavenge marks. I know that's usually tough to tell but that spacing between them looked pretty good to me.

As always, all help is greatly appreciated!

-Frank H

vert1.jpg

vert2.jpg

vert3.jpg

eaten bone2.jpg

eatenbone.jpg

eatenbone3.jpg

First one is mosasaur. I can't help on the second bone fragment. 

• I found this Informative 1

14 minutes ago, JarrodB said:

First one is mosasaur. I can't help on the second bone fragment. 

Thanks Jarrod! I was actually going to tag you on this one but forgot - I'm glad you saw this.

8 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Second piece has the texture and contouring of an osteoderm ? 

I'm not sure - I was just looking at the marks on it (I had the bone itself as unidentifiable reptile bone). Here is another angle..

IMG_20190427_091019.jpg

I think it probably does look more skeletal in nature. Perhaps a process with heavy ligament attachment ?

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

I think it probably does look more skeletal in nature. Perhaps a process with heavy ligament attachment ?

Hmmm..could be.

Hey Frank, great finds!

The first one is mosasaur. What do you mean by the “divot?” I saw what they said on the Big Brook website about Croc verts having divots, but it wasn’t that clear.

The second one is a piece of reptile bone. I don’t know if it will be possible to distinguish wear from predation for the holes.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Nice mosasaur vert.   The turtle bone does look like it has predation marks.   But the reworked nature of the bone does leave the slim possibility that something else caused the grooves.  

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---