Received my Keichousaurus Today!

MarielleK

Hello all! I just wanted to share a Keichousaurus I got in the mail today. It was an Easter gift to myself. It is an acid prepped specimen. I was a little worried about it but it looks excellent! The only noticeable paint is on the calcite line connecting the neck vertebrae together, which I have no problems with. Otherwise it looks complete, with all of its toes intact, and I wanted to share, because I am excited about it. I included pictures. There are a few tiny teeth in its mouth, but they didn't show up on camera. If you see anything off with it that I haven't noticed, please let me know. Thank you all! 

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Here is the back of the fossil. The calcite line on the back, lines up with the one on top. 

IMG_7230.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Looks nice!

These are probably my favorite fossils.

By the huge forearms, I think you have a male....

• I found this Informative 2

54 minutes ago, aplomado said:

Looks nice!

These are probably my favorite fossils.

By the huge forearms, I think you have a male....

Thanks. I agree.

Nice complete fossil and good photos. Congrats!

How big is this specimen? Can you tell me about the acid prep process? Thanks.

33 minutes ago, Bronzviking said:

Nice complete fossil and good photos. Congrats!

How big is this specimen? Can you tell me about the acid prep process? Thanks.

He's about 9 inches long from tip to tail. The prep work is usually done in China. They are covered in acid, to get some of the rock away from the bone, and then mechanically prepped with a rotary grinder. This technique is crude and usually causes some ground down or missing bones. I was lucky to get a complete specimen with all its toes, hence my excitement. Mine was acid washed which caused some discoloration on top of the slab and all around the fossil (you can see what I mean if you compare photo of the back of the fossil to the front). I am not sure what kind of acid is used off the top of my head, but @Crazyhen is pretty knowledgeable about these and could probably provide more information.

In Guizhou/Yunnan, the locals are normally using weak acids such as oxalic acid to dissolve the matrix, and then use an electric grinder to prep the Keichousaurus.  There are more professional discussions of acid prepping in the forum before such as 

• I found this Informative 1