Mexico Meg Teeth

JarrodB

Has anyone seen Meg teeth from Mexico? I'm currently working in Mexico and one of my coworkers is trying to sell me a big Meg tooth that looks very similar to the North Carolina teeth.  

Mexican fossils are protected by strict antiquity laws. They are illegal to take out of the country.

• I found this Informative 3

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

7 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Mexican fossils are protected by strict antiquity laws. They are illegal to take out of the country.

Yeah I figured. I didn't buy it but found it interesting since you don't see many from this area.

3 minutes ago, JarrodB said:

Yeah I figured. I didn't buy it but found it interesting since you don't see many from this area.

Okay, just wanted to let you know, I’ve read those laws are well enforced.

As you can see, Megs have been found on the west coast of Mexico, however only on the northern part. I think I remember hearing of some Pliocene stuff I southern Baja, but I think it was too young for megs ( GW teeth being more common)

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I didn't know about these Mexican laws. Good to know. I found this post on the forum that discussed Overseas laws in more depth if anyone is interested.

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 8:49 PM, WhodamanHD said:

Okay, just wanted to let you know, I’ve read those laws are well enforced.

As you can see, Megs have been found on the west coast of Mexico, however only on the northern part. I think I remember hearing of some Pliocene stuff I southern Baja, but I think it was too young for megs (GW teeth being more common)

Megs have been found at a few sites in Baja California from near the US border all the way down to the Cabo San Lucas area.

You are correct.  Mexico strictly enforces its fossil export laws as part of an overall ban on the export of "antiquities" - various artifacts and mummies.  Back in the 70's-80's tourists did bring home fossils from Mexico.  I don't know if Mexico just started to crack down on those laws or if they were amended to put a stop to exports because people did go through customs with fossils (shells, shark teeth, sand dollars, horse teeth) and they were allowed to keep them.  There was also the idea that things like sand dollars and shark teeth were not a big deal.  The law was more for specimens like ammonites particularly the larger ones.  In the 90's there was a crackdown on the export of those unless they were cut in half down the middle and polished.  At the time, they were classified as decorations or something like that and allowed to leave the country.  I haven't seen one of those for sale in years so those might be covered by the law now too.