Coral (7) from the Campanian St. Bartholomä formation, Styria, Austria (Gosau group, Eastern Alps)

FranzBernhard

Hello!
Another colonial coral from St. Bartholomä. Contrast is poor and that´s the best I can to with my scrappy scrap.

I think, I have not found such a coral before in this formation. And its the second largest colony I have found so far there.

AN_Koralle_AN4179_AN4180_kompr.thumb.jpg.788a47c795300a5a31161696c3565c37.jpg

My guess is, that it could be Astraeofungia (g, h) or Dimorphastrea (a, b), all pics from Löser et al. (2015). But I am very probably wrong...

Loeser.thumb.jpg.0ad33e81d9d0fd693a5eece1af5683e8.jpg

Thank you very much for your help!
Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2

Both Astraeofungia and Dimorphastrea belong to the family Latomeandridae, that did not reach farther than Cenomanian or so. Your material belongs to the Synastraeidae (that is a sister family to the L., but has stronger septa, less perforations). I guess it is Leptophyllastraea, an almost forgotten genus which is quite common in the Late Cretaceous. -- For all who are interested: an inventory of the Gosau corals (Coniacian-Santonian) is in press (370 pages, 1200 figs.). Since the book is in the German language, an abridged version in English will be provided free of cost as PDF. 

• I found this Informative 3

@HansTheLoser, again, thank you very much for your help! 

May I ask you another question? I have also posted this in the ID section, and the consensus is, that it is a sponge:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/94175-fossil-ball-campanian-st-bartholomä-formation-gosau-group-eastern-alps/

Have you seen something like this in all your upper Cretaceous material? Many thanks!

Franz Bernhard