Awards

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:12 PM

For you in the midwest, Fossil Park just outside of Rockford, Iowa
is a great place to hunt. Fossils literally everywhere! I have only
been there twice but found quite a bit. The times I hunted, the place
was deserted.

Leaving their link:

Fossil Park

Hope this isn't posted somewhere else but I didn't see it..

#2 csaey_jones

csaey_jones

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

Im located in Iowa, do you have any more info on this place?

#3 Rain1950

Rain1950

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:56 AM

Great! Another addition for my upcoming retirement

Thanx

#4 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:28 PM

Im located in Iowa, do you have any more info on this place?

This is actually a really cool place outside of Charles City, Iowa. There are lots of Devonian fossils, especially bivalves, brachiopods, horn corals and colony corals. You can keep everything you find, the only rule is that you cannot sell what you find. It's a great place for kids, I've taken mine twice and we've gotten buckets full of fossils in just a few hours. There are also many different kinds of microfossils so if you just bring home a bucket of gravel you could be busy for days. I highly recommend a visit if you are ever within a few hours drive.
If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

#5 emmytee

emmytee

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

This is actually a really cool place outside of Charles City, Iowa. There are lots of Devonian fossils, especially bivalves, brachiopods, horn corals and colony corals. You can keep everything you find, the only rule is that you cannot sell what you find. It's a great place for kids, I've taken mine twice and we've gotten buckets full of fossils in just a few hours. There are also many different kinds of microfossils so if you just bring home a bucket of gravel you could be busy for days. I highly recommend a visit if you are ever within a few hours drive.

sounds like a perfect place for me. it mentions that it is one out of only three known publich fossil sites in the nation, and it cites cnn, but what are the others? sorry to go off topic.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

#6 jbstedman

jbstedman

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

Roz: I'm a broken record I know. But I didn't see this flagged on the "Locations Map." Please consider posting a flag (following Anson's instructions at the top of Locations subforum). Thanks. JB
Besides fossils,
I collect roadcuts,
Stream beds,
Winter beaches:
Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

#7 Roz

Roz

Member of the Month 09/09; VFOTM 01/11; VFOTM 09/11

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,892 posts

Awards

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

Sorry, I read the directions but do not follow how to do it..I am a computer idiot, and
I'll be the first to admit it..

#8 jbstedman

jbstedman

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:17 PM

Sorry, I read the directions but do not follow how to do it..I am a computer idiot, and
I'll be the first top admit it..

If this is a no-no, forgive me. But, I went ahead and put a flag at roughly 1227 215th Street, Rockford, Iowa, which is the address given on the park's web page. This site seems like one worth promoting. (As I read the web page, it's the Fossil and Prairie Park which is what I labeled it, misspelling "prairie" in the process . . . darn.)

I agree, the process for populating the map isn't all that intuitive.
Besides fossils,
I collect roadcuts,
Stream beds,
Winter beaches:
Places of pilgrimage.

#9 Roz

Roz

Member of the Month 09/09; VFOTM 01/11; VFOTM 09/11

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,892 posts

Awards

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

Thank you so very much for adding it. I do
appreciate it!

#10 jbstedman

jbstedman

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:24 PM

Thank you so very much for adding it. I do
appreciate it!

You're welcome. I have to admit that I didn't realize you had made your original post almost a year ago. I guess time stands still on the web.
Besides fossils,
I collect roadcuts,
Stream beds,
Winter beaches:
Places of pilgrimage.

#11 trilobiteruss

trilobiteruss

Advanced Member; GDB Award 06/07/12

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Awards

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:24 PM

You're welcome. I have to admit that I didn't realize you had made your original post almost a year ago. I guess time stands still on the web.

That is a great area for Devonian fossils. It was the old Rockford Brick and Tile Pit. I used to collect around there alot in grade/high school and college. Found a ton of stuff. It was great to have it made into a park after the pit closed. I would recommend anyone who wants to get a good collection of Devonian marine invertebrates to try it out. Good place for families for sure. I am not sure these days all that is found but I am aware of the common invertebrates mentioned but also rare forms like whole crinoids, blastoids, and goniatite cephalopods in some cases.

russ
trilobiteruss: AKA: Russ Jacobson Preferences: All things trilobites and Macintosh

Site Admin: Paleo-pix Fossils https://www.facebook...65942466813543/
Urbana, IL

#12 trilobiteruss

trilobiteruss

Advanced Member; GDB Award 06/07/12

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Awards

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:00 PM

Just a bit more info on this park in case someone still is wanting better location info:

Looking for a unique experience? Stroll through acres of native Iowa prairie, discover & collect ancient sea life from the quarry are and visit the company that unearthed these treasures.

The Fossil & Prairie Park Preserve is located 1 mile west of Rockford on County Road B47.

Features
Collect your own Devonian fossils
Hike trails through native prairies and fossil quarry.
Observe the historic beehive kilns used by the Rockford Brick & Tile Co.
Visitor Cetner contains compelling exhibits that intrepre the unique features of the Park
No Admission fee.

Operating Hours & Seasons
The Fossil & Prairie Center is open daily from Memorial Day to Labor Day from 1 - 4 p.m. Open weekends in May, September & October from 1-4 p.m.

Also link to page about the center:

http://www.fossilcenter.com/

trilobiteruss: AKA: Russ Jacobson Preferences: All things trilobites and Macintosh

Site Admin: Paleo-pix Fossils https://www.facebook...65942466813543/
Urbana, IL

#13 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

I can tell you it is well worth the trip. Itis free and you can keep everything you find. You can easily find 10 different species of brachiopods. They have a very nice coveredpicnic area when you get hot and clean indoor bathrooms in the visitor center. An absolutely wonderful place toget kids started on fossils. The first time I went there with a neighbor's son he said to me, "I can't find any fossils, I'll I can find are these shells everywhere!"
If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

#14 PennyT.

PennyT.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

OH, bummer. Snowed out for KY trip so figured Rockord, IA was a for sure thing and now just read it's not open again until Memorial Day. Any Iowan have other sites to recommend in the NorthEast part of state? Maybe Fayette Co?

#15 fishguy

fishguy

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

OH, bummer. Snowed out for KY trip so figured Rockord, IA was a for sure thing and now just read it's not open again until Memorial Day. Any Iowan have other sites to recommend in the NorthEast part of state? Maybe Fayette Co?

The Park is open for collecting fossils but the info center is closed.  Send me a message and I might be able to set something up.

Edited by fishguy, 27 March 2013 - 02:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users