Crowsfold

Coprolite Maybe Poo? Or Something Else?

Crowsfold

First poster and fresh account here, so hopefully I've done everything up to code! Found this while at the beach in washington. Thought it might be dinosaur poo, so brought it back. Though i'd love to be sure of what it is, if anything. It does seem to be a bit tacky when licked, but...cant say I've ever licked dino poo before so can't be certain what i'm licking for hah.

Pictures had to be shrunk to all fit, then compiled them to compact further, so hopefully details still show. 
Front Side
Back Side
Side One (with ruler)
Side Two (with ruler)
Front Side In Sun

Maybe_Dino_Poo.png

Fossildude19

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I wish all newcomers would take such great photos!  

Very coprolite looking to me, but lets call in some experts! 

@GeschWhat  @Boesse  @Al Dente  @MarcoSr

Crowsfold

Thank you for the warm welcome!
And I love taking photos in as much detail as possible, haha. 

Now that it's dried completely, it does have a few smooth shiny patches mixed in if that changes the diagnosis. Can almost see some of it in the sun picture at the bottom. 

Rockwood

Looks suspiciously like coal slag/clinker to me.

sixgill pete

Interesting. This is rather coprolite looking. Wondering if you see any inclusions in it? 

I don't think it is dinosaur, if it is poo since you said you found it on a beach in Washington. Which I am assuming you mean the State note DC.

I also want to Express the same sentiment as @Fossildude19 about your pictures. Good photos are extremely important.

MarcoSr

I'm in the possible coprolite camp.  I would need to see much closer pictures.  Not all coprolites have visible inclusions.  Fish coprolites usually have fish bone/scales pieces visible.  Terrestrial carnivore coprolites can have bone, sometimes hair, pieces visible.  Croc's have very strong stomach acid which completely dissolves all bone.  However the acid doesn't completely dissolve hair or feathers.  Looking at the features of your specimen it could be from a marine carnivore like a croc or a terrestrial carnivore.  Usually when coprolites fossilize in a formation you find a number of them.  I'd be on the lookout for more at the beach.

Marco Sr.

FossilDAWG

@Carl and @GeschWhat may be able to offer an opinion.

Don

Carl

I'm thinking not coprolite. The bubbles and the sheen suggest something artificial and "a bit tacky when licked" certainly moves me away from coprolite. What happens when you touch a flame to it?

Crowsfold

So much great help already! Whatever it ends up being i'm thankful you guys will help figure it out.

I was under the assumption that coprolite were sticky/tacky when licked, but again not sure what exactly i'd be licking for.

Washington state, not dc.

There are some bits of "things" and specks, but could be sand for all I know. I just gave it a rinse for mud/loose sand, not a scrub, since i'm not sure what it is and didn't want to risk damaging it or removing important pieces. 
I did put a flame to it and no reaction, color change, ect besides becoming warm in that area and holding the heat for a short while. 

Here's a set of as close as I could get before the camera decided I was just asking too much from it, haha. Again had to resize a touch, and sharpen it the smallest of bit to display the details.

Maybe_Poo_Close_Up.png

ynot

I agree with a piece of slag.

Crowsfold

So the consensus seems to be that it's coal slag? Albeit a very convincing piece of slag. Was hopeful for my first dinosaur-related find but either way it's definitely being added to the shelf of odd finds! Thank you for all your guy's/girl's expertise! 

JohnBrewer

Certainly a great talking piece!

Carl

Still not sure what it is but the close ups move me father away from coprolite.

abyssunder

I don't think is a coprolite, especially if it was found in Washington state.

I would go with the "something else".

MarcoSr

Seeing the closeup pictures, I don't think that this specimen is a coprolite.

Marco Sr.