HisNHersDig

My girlfriend and I decided to go and dig around some this past weekend and did had an amazing time. Tons of smaller shark teeth, some vertebrae (one very cool not sure what), a few large teeth (not sure what), and a claw of some type (raptor for sure). I love to dig and trying to sharpen up a bit on types of fossils we find all input would be amazing thanks 

32 minutes ago, HisNHersDig said:

My girlfriend and I decided to go and dig around some this past weekend and did had an amazing time. Tons of smaller shark teeth, some vertebrae (one very cool not sure what), a few large teeth (not sure what), and a claw of some type (raptor for sure). I love to dig and trying to sharpen up a bit on types of fossils we find all input would be amazing thanks 

15565457197202047564320.jpg

@Auspex 

Possible bird claw - Auspex should know if it is, what it is. ;) 

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Yeah I work at a museum and that claw does appear to be avian (raptors are birds of prey these days). Very neat finds.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

47 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Possible bird claw

It's a nice terminal phalanx from a mid-sized raptor (about the size of a Red-tailed Hawk).
A more specific ID is beyond my ability.

• I found this Informative 4

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Beautiful finds , that claw is stellar :yay-smiley-1:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

A problem using the BoneClones illustration for ID purposes is that the BC claws still have their keratin sheath.  The sheath is always missing with a fossil.  Fortunately with birds, the sheath is relatively thin and the bone is extended.  This problem is most exaggerated with the mammal claws.

clawcores.jpg

black_bear_clawA.JPG

black_bear_clawB.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

The bone attachment features can be very diagnostic for claws.  Those features are not part of the keratin sheath.  Those features make the BC picture still useful in the ID of mammal claws.  When you have an applicable extant reference, it is always a good starting point even if features have been lost through fossilization.  However, it is very important to understand the point HP made about the keratin sheaths.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 3

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png