Scottnokes2015

Hi everyone, I was out on a collecting trip this weekend around the Fern Glenn Fm, St Louis, Missouri.

I came across this which I think is Crinoid related but I've never seen one with the little spikes sticking out. It's about 3/8th inch diameter by about 3/16 inch thick.

Can anyone give me any ideas of the species.

Thank you

IMG_20190428_180607~2.jpg

Looks like a well-worn crinoid hold-down (base). I'm not the expert on these, though, so hang in there until we hear from a few others.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I have no idea yet about the genus / species, but it looks like a crinoid columnal, to me. Pictures from more sides may reveal the truth.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Typically the holdfast looks more like a somewhat root structure. Not sure if its the base of the aboral cup, but it also looks more like a peice of the Crinoid column (stem). For sure crinoidal though. What's it look like flipped over?

Some crinoid stems from the Fern Glen are spiky like that. Did you find any evactinoptera?