digit

May 2019 - Finds of the Month Entries

Topic will be automatically locked at 03:59 AM

digit

REMINDER: PLEASE carefully read ALL of the rules below.

Make sure you include all the required information, IN THE REQUESTED FORMAT (below) when you submit your fossil! 

If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM.

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: 

Before and After Preparation Photos must be submitted for prepped specimens NOT  found during the Month of the Contest.

In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds.

Entries will be taken until 11:59:00 PM EDT on MAY 31, 2019

Any fossil submitted after that time, even if the thread is still open, will be deemed ineligible! 

Only entries posted with CLEAR photos and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. 

Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

Tell us more about your fossil, and why you think it is worthy of the honor. 

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!
Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. Find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found personally by you are allowed. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.
  2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per member per contest category.)
  3. Your fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or Significant Preparation * of your fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.
  4. You must include the Date of Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Date of Discovery (if not found in the contest month).
  5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. Please make sure you arrange for photos if someone else is preparing your fossil find and completes the prep requirements in the contest month.
  6. You must include the Common and/or Scientific Name.
  7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the fossil was found.
  8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the fossil was found.
  9. You must include CLEAR, cropped, well-lit images (maximum 4 images). If you are proud enough of your fossil to submit it for FOTM, spend some time to take good photos to show off your fossil.
  10. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

* Significant Preparation = Substantial work to reveal and/or repair important diagnostic features, resulting in a dramatic change in the look of the fossil. The qualification of Significant Preparation is decided at the discretion of staff. Any doubts as to the eligibility of the entry will be discussed directly with the entrant.

******* Please use the following format for the required information: *******

Date of Discovery

Scientific and/or Common Name

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

State, Province, or Region Found

Photos of Find (Please limit to 4 clear, cropped, and well-lit images.)

(If prepped, before and after photos are required, please.)

digit
5 hours ago, ricardo said:

This specimen is not a collector’s jewel, like we usually see on Finds of the Month Entries, but has dozens of echinoids in grey marl and it is an exceptional sample as testimony of that anoxic event.

Entries into the FOTM contest should contribute to a diverse gallery of special items that our members were happy to find each month. We vote to select a winner from the contributed entries and members (hopefully) vote for the item that they would most like to have found themselves--the most drool-worthy. :drool: It is true that sometimes the voting does tend to be a bit of a beauty contest but often rarity or the exceptional preservation is what is most appreciated by the membership.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:35 PM, digit said:

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

Tell us more about your fossil, and why you think it is worthy of the honor. 

We ask for some background on the entries and why you think they are worthy to be considered for the FOTM because this helps us understand more about fossils we likely know little about.

Thank you for your entry that may not be a "collector's jewel" but you understand why this death assemblage has something to say about the taphonomy behind its creation (and now so do we). ;) The FOTM contest is a place to show special fossils our membership finds each month and should not simply be a beauty contest.

Cheers.

-Ken

FossilDAWG

"Collector's jewel" is very much in the eye of the beholder.  If I found such a dense aggregation of echinoids, I would certainly consider it to be a jewel.

Don

Auspex
34 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

... If I found such a dense aggregation of echinoids, I would certainly consider it to be a jewel.

I agree; it is a fascinating specimen.

JarrodB

It looks very cool to me. i would be happy to find one like it. 

digit

Nice! Can you point out the nautiloid for those of us who are a bit thick? ;)

Nice to see some fossils from the area near my alma mater--had I only known back in the day.....:P

Cheers.

-Ken

gieserguy

@Rockwood was kind enough to point the Nautiloid out for me!

And that's so cool, you went to University of Illinois? I'm currently studying environmental science there!

0F5B8254-3499-4463-BA27-D469BBC5660D.thumb.jpeg.135fb55b280f434385ee958f04cc0ec2_LI.jpg

jpc

ooh, that is Where's Waldo nautiloid.

digit

Didn't recognize him without the shirt and glasses. :P

I graduated UIUC back in the Dark Ages--I got my degree in Computer Science so it wasn't THAT long ago (seems like only yesterday). Spent my years living in the FAR (far south that is). ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Heteromorph
30 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

Just an exciting find for me I would like to submit this month.

Exciting indeed! Amazing to find such a perfect specimen. 

ricardo
10 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

My first Echinocaris punctata

Great specimen! I love it! :tiphat:

digit
11 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

I’m still floored at the quality of the specimen so I figured I’d toss it in the mix here :)

Creating a diverse gallery of wonderful specimens found by our membership is the underlying reason for these monthly contests. It creates a place for beautiful items like this to be seen by members who might miss them if posted in a topic that is missed. Such a great resemblance to the drawing.

Cheers.

-Ken

The Amateur Paleontologist
On 17/05/2019 at 10:59 PM, belemniten said:

(perhaps Plesiosaur bones)

That'd be amazing :) 

Neat specimen you've got there!

-Christian

gieserguy
12 minutes ago, Scylla said:

5ce38b36f3210_Gus-Eggbug_figured-.thumb.jpg.138da904a2ebdcdf4e56c0b5d34e04ee.jpg

Wow, what a beauty! I’m curious, what is the significance of the two circled parts?

Scylla
7 minutes ago, gieserguy said:

Wow, what a beauty! I’m curious, what is the significance of the two circled parts?

Edited original post now. Those are the eggs.

Scylla

5ce391098e3eb_triloinsitu.thumb.jpg.8a482bb371595c87bac9663a7f250d7c.jpg

This is the before picture, still attached to the host rock. A small part could not be found so Markus flipped it and did a ventral prep on it. Lucky thing too, otherwise wouldn't have found the eggs!

gieserguy
12 minutes ago, Scylla said:

Edited original post now. Those are the eggs.

Wow... that’s outstanding!

Scylla
1 minute ago, gieserguy said:

Wow... that’s outstanding!

Thanks