Betteshanger - UK collecting site

Yoda

Hope some of the UK members can be of assistance.

I want to go on my first collecting trip this summer, and have been doing a bit of research.

One of my main interests is plants. 

I live in Hertfordshire, and the nearest location I can find that has plant material is Betteshanger in Kent. It's over 200 miles round trip, so not that close to me.

Has anyone collected there? Did you come away with a decent number of finds. 

Does anyone know of any plant locations nearer to me? 

Thanks

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Probably not the type of plant collecting you had in mind, but many of the London Clay locations along the coast north east and east of London produce a fair amount of seeds/fruit from Nipa trees and pyritised wood. Otherwise Betteshanger sounds like a good option. Haven't made it there myself yet but it sounds like a great site. 

• I found this Informative 1

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

On 01/05/2019 at 1:33 PM, Paleoworld-101 said:

Betteshanger sounds like a good option. Haven't made it there myself yet but it sounds like a great site. 

Have been doing some research into this site.

You can't just turn up apparently. They have specific fossil hunting days. 

I have sent them an email requesting more info. 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector