Importing fossils

gigantoraptor

Hello all

I recently saw a cool tooth on an American website. It's pretty expensive so I don't want to take too much risks. When I look up how much shipping and import costs to Europe would be it would be as much as half the price of the tooth itself. Is this normal or did I do something wrong? Anyone has any experience with this? The fossil is not illegal or anything, it comes from a perfectly legal location.

I just think it's weird to pay like 1,5 times the price for a tooth.

Looking forward to your answers and help.

Greetings and thanks already. 

Well it all depends on the shipping method used.  If tracking or expedited shipping is required the cost go up significantly versus standard post, thats normal.   Duty depends on the stated value, your countries allowance and lots of sellers do not use actual price, something less to avoid that issue but thats a discussion you need to have with the seller.

Shipping costs are pretty much up to the seller and what they estimate it will cost. VAT is another issue entirely. I would reach out to the seller and ask if it is possible to a) send the item through a more economical method, which may mean a much longer delivery date; and, b ) ask if the item can be listed as a gift with a minimal value to avoid paying the import fees (or list it at a significantly lower value). The seller may or may not agree to that arrangement (particularly if the paperwork has to list the value for business reasons, or may not want to get in trouble with respect to fraud), but you never know... Someone more eager to make the sale might just cut you a deal, send it by cheaper means, and list it as a gift. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer