Genuine amber not releasing smell when heated.

Hello everyone. So I have a question about a piece of burmite amber in my collection that I am certain is authentic. It does not release a smell when heated...I've found that my darker colored specimens will release a stronger pine smell than the lighter colored ones, however. Why is this one not giving off any smell? I'm sure it's being heated to a temparure high enough to release the smell. It passed the saltwater test, distinguishes from copal with the acetone test, and has cracks and chips characteristic of amber. It has a rather large inclusion of half of some species of grasshopper. I've included pictures of it. Thank you for your help! 

6176663168_IMG_2647.JPG

6176663168_IMG_2648.JPG

It’s real. Some amber I’ve had doesn’t smell or doesn’t smell too nice depending on the location. My Burmite is one of the types that doesn’t smell too much. Baltic amber does have a piney smell. 

• I found this Informative 3

6 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

It’s real. Some amber I’ve had doesn’t smell or doesn’t smell too nice depending on the location. My Burmite is one of the types that doesn’t smell too much. Baltic amber does have a piney smell. 

Thank you. I didn't know if all types of amber always smelled when heated, or if it was normal to have some that didn't. 

• I found this Informative 1

I've read that some Burmite can smell like kerosene when heated.

• I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Burmite is considerably older than Baltic or Dominican amber. It’s had a little more time in the geologic cooker for impurities and fragrances to be removed so to speak so it may not be as strong and “fresh” as newer ambers and copals. Also, keep in mind the amber from Myanmar is 66 million years older at 100 mya than Baltic (44 mya) and Dominican (25 mya) so the plant species that produced the sap certainly changed between those times which could also effect the scent.

• I found this Informative 2

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?