Hi everyone,

I'm really late on this one, but better late than never! 

On the 6th of April I went to the Banjaard beach again, and although our hunt was short it was super interesting!

I started off by searching the coastline, where I found lots of bivalves such as Tridonta borealis, Mya truncata, Mytilus edulis, Arctica islandica, etc. 

After a while I went higher up the beach and started looking for the gastropod shell banks we had a lot of luck at last time. Unfortunately I didn't manage to find them... which tells me that the banks come and go, and that that previous hunt was just really lucky. However we got lucky again this time, by finding another type of shell bank!

IMG_5807.thumb.jpg.4b9ac91a2db41672d04ee1ac8df43826.jpg

This giant 'cloud' you see here yielded a crazy amount of smaller rare fossils!

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

What makes the bank white is, as you can see here, the incredible amount of all those tiny Lacuna vincta shells. Mixed within are tons and tons of small bone pieces, small fossil shells, and other goodies. 

IMG_5804.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

In this one you can see a very nice Nucella lapillus on the left and a small Nassarius pygmaeus on the bottom-right (in black and white). There's also a tiny fossil Euspira catena shell in this picture too. Can you spot it? 

IMG_5805.thumb.jpg.335935645f49e1802c8976d997198565.jpg

Max Derème

Who can find the fossil Littorina littorea in this one? :) 

IMG_5806.thumb.jpg.ec49b928075adec9cf18d4a69c6489c2.jpg

Max Derème

Here are some location pictures. It's a very nice beach, and not many people on it. The people you see here are my grandparents, that tagged along for their first fossil hunt! They didn't find much unfortunately...

IMG_5801.jpg

IMG_5802.jpg

Max Derème

Onto the finds we made! Just like I did for this Zandmotor hunt, I'm gonna show all the different species I found on the day! But before that I'm gonna show the different non-shell finds we made. Some very good stuff in here too!

Here's a partial mammal bone... I'll put it in the Fossil ID with more pictures, but if anyone recognizes it already feel free to identify this thing! It's from somewhere in the Neogene (likely Pleistocene, but possibly Pliocene). 

IMG_5095.JPG

IMG_5092.JPG

IMG_5091.JPG

Max Derème

And some more bones... ditto as the one right above. 

IMG_5096.JPG

IMG_5101.JPG

Max Derème

Obviously we found a lot of fish vertebrae again, with a particular abundance of small ones this time. 

IMG_5104.JPG

Max Derème

Then this weird thing... I think it's some kind of bryozoan? The age is anything from early Eocene to present... (but Pleistocene being most likely)

IMG_5107.JPG

IMG_5109.JPG

Max Derème

Also 3 fossil crab pincers, of 3 different species! From left to right: Cancer pagurus, Carcinus maenas, Maja brachydactyla. All from the Pliocene. These made me really happy! :D 

IMG_5127.JPG

Max Derème

And finally for the non-shell stuff, here are some Spirobranchus triqueter pieces. These are Pliocene too if I remember correctly.

IMG_5120.JPG

Max Derème

Now onto the shell stuff! Lots and lots of stuff here, so get ready!

1) Cerastoderma edule forma major, from the Eemian stage of the Late Pleistocene (about 120'000 years old)

IMG_5136.JPG

IMG_5137.JPG

Max Derème

2) Corbicula cf fluminalis, a freshwater species from somewhere in the Pleistocene (maybe 400'000 years old). 

IMG_5138.JPG

IMG_5139.JPG

Max Derème

3) Tridonta borealis, a coldwater species from probably the late Pleistocene (after the Eemian). 

IMG_5140.JPG

IMG_5141.JPG

Max Derème

4) Spisula elliptica, from the Eemian

IMG_5144.JPG

IMG_5145.JPG

Max Derème

5) Spisula subtruncata, Eemian

IMG_5146.JPG

IMG_5147.JPG

Max Derème

6) Macoma balthica, Eemian

IMG_5148.JPG

IMG_5149.JPG

Max Derème

7) A small piece of Ensis magnus, Eemian

IMG_5150.JPG

IMG_5151.JPG

Max Derème

8) An incomplete Solen marginatus, Eemian

IMG_5152.JPG

IMG_5153.JPG

Max Derème

9) An incomplete (but the most complete I've found so far) specimen of Mya truncata, Eemian

IMG_5154.JPG

IMG_5155.JPG

Max Derème

10) A fragment of Zirfaea crispata, Eemian

IMG_5160.JPG

IMG_5161.JPG

Max Derème

11) A small fragment of Modiolus modiolus, Eemian

IMG_5164.JPG

IMG_5165.JPG

Max Derème

12) A hinge piece of Laevicardium oblongum crassum, Eemian

IMG_5166.JPG

IMG_5167.JPG

Max Derème

13) Donax vittatus, Eemian

IMG_5172.JPG

IMG_5173.JPG

Max Derème

14) A fragment of Angulus fabulus, Eemian (with a bit of jigsaw puzzling skills, the 3 pieces come together as one fragment)

IMG_5174.JPG

Max Derème