Bryozoan? From the Banjaard

Max-fossils

Hi everyone,

Here's a cool little thing I found on the Banjaard beach (Zeeland, Netherlands) last month. I believe it's a type of bryozoan? If so, what species? 

Apart from the mollusks, the invertebrates are really not my strong point... :P 

The age of this thing is probably (anywhere in the) Pleistocene, but possibly older (up to Eocene). It might be modern too...

The most common sediments at this location are Eemian (warm interglacial stage in the late Pleistocene) in age. 

This specimen was found in a bed of lots of tiny Lacuna vincta shells, if that helps. 

Thanks in advance,

Max

IMG_5107.JPG

IMG_5108.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

IMG_5109.JPG

IMG_5110.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

It's a nice specimen, but I think it'll be quite hard to identify without the age or a cut through section or close up of the detail of the zooecia. 

I'm quite reasonable at Lower Palaeozoic bryozoans, but have little idea about the ones after that, i'm afraid. 

Good luck, again! :Luck:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

It's a nice specimen, but I think it'll be quite hard to identify without the age or a cut through section or close up of the detail of the zooecia. 

I'm quite reasonable at Lower Palaeozoic bryozoans, but have little idea about the ones after that, i'm afraid. 

Good luck, again! :Luck:

Ok, thanks Adam!

But so it is a bryozoan then, right? 

Max Derème

2 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Ok, thanks Adam!

But so it is a bryozoan then, right? 

Yup, a bifoliate bryozoan. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yup, a bifoliate bryozoan. 

Cool :D 

I'll wait to see if anyone recognizes the species/genus/family/whatever and if not then I'll still be happy enough.

Max Derème