Shark teeth in Kansas

Whitetail Hoyt

Hello all I just joined this place so sorry if I posted this in the wrong area. Can anyone give me an idea on where to look for shark teeth in Kansas. I have found 3 at castle rock but it definitely gets searched a lot. I have asked permission on some private land in that area and everyone has said no. So how would you go about getting permission and what other areas should I check? Tia 

Keep asking the landowners. It's the best way to hunt where no one else has access. 1 out of 10 will say "yes". Respect their property. Respect them. Bring them something nice once in a while. Get a phone number so you can call ahead of time to see if it is convenient for them before you show up. If you get 100 people to say "no", you'll have 10 honey holes that are all your own.

I'll let the people who've hunted and/or know Kansas well try to give you some ideas where to look, but if you've already been asking some land owners my advice is continue and you will be rewarded. That's how I got most of the sites I hunted in Illinois for Mazon Creek fossils (Google it) that no one else hunted. They were mine 100%.

Also scroll down towards the bottom of the home page on this forum and you'll see "fossil collecting sites" or something on that order. Click on US, click on Kansas, read.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

It's pretty tough out in the chalk gaining permission.  If you are looking for teeth, it's also not the best place to find them in Kansas.   The biggest are found in the chalk, but for sheer numbers of teeth, try the Greenhorn limestone.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Moved to Questions and Answers;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm not familiar with the area but in Texas I just hunt the public creeks and rivers which is legal. I find a nice variety of teeth. I'm a big mean looking tattooed guy so I don't even waste time asking landowners for permission lol. 

4 hours ago, JarrodB said:

I'm a big mean looking tattooed guy so I don't even waste time asking landowners for permission lol. 

So you're saying that landowners think that you're simply going to beat them up if they say no? :P

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

9 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

So you're saying that landowners think that you're simply going to beat them up if they say no? :P

Lol that or rob them. I'm actually a nice guy but you know how it is.