sixgill pete

Gastropods, Bivalves and Teeth From The Tar River

fossilnut

Superb Ecphora What a beauty! No pictures show for the Margaritaria or the bucket of Chesapectens. Now that I see the Nararitaria I agree it is beautiful. The picture makes it look like it has an aragonite interior? Love the other bivalve Glossus as well. Great finds and thanks for sharing.

Edited by fossilnut
added a question

sixgill pete

@fossilnut They should be there now. Had a glitch. By the way the Ecphora are E. quadricostata

jcbshark

That Ecphora is a real beaut Don! I'm pretty envious of your buddys GW too..... just WOW:yay-smiley-1::wub::envy:

FossilDAWG

You certainly had a great day!  Those outcrops are a lot of fun; I wish I lived closer but I've only been there once when Ash took me out 

Do you know what those little cashew shaped things are on the plate in the last photo?  Also do you know what the fish vertebra is from?

Don

Brett Breakin' Rocks
1 hour ago, sixgill pete said:

Great whites, I found the smaller of these two. My buddy found the larger. It is exactly 3 inches. Mine is a measly 2 1/4.

Oh wow ... those are gorgeous.... One day I'll join that three inch club.  The roots are always so fragile here on the river.  These look like they have some perfect preservation.  Congrats !

Cheers,

Brett

Fossildude19

Great report and finds, Don! 

Congratulations! :) 

Glad to see you getting out there. 

sixgill pete
8 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

You certainly had a great day!  Those outcrops are a lot of fun; I wish I lived closer but I've only been there once when Ash took me out 

Do you know what those little cashew shaped things are on the plate in the last photo?  Also do you know what the fish vertebra is from?

Don

Hi Don. Ash was who Ok was with. You should have seen him when he found that big GW. 

The cashew shaped things are the emmons fish teeth. As far as ty he vert I have never tried to ID them. But that shape is unique. You coming to the festival?

sixgill pete
8 hours ago, jcbshark said:

That Ecphora is a real beaut Don! I'm pretty envious of your buddys GW too..... just WOW:yay-smiley-1::wub::envy:

Thanks Jeff. That GW is definatly a head turner.

sixgill pete
8 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Oh wow ... those are gorgeous.... One day I'll join that three inch club.  The roots are always so fragile here on the river.  These look like they have some perfect preservation.  Congrats !

Cheers,

Brett

Brett, those two teeth both look like they just fell out of the sharks mouth yesterday. 

sixgill pete
6 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great report and finds, Don! 

Congratulations! :) 

Glad to see you getting out there. 

Thanks Tim. It was good to get back out to a river site.

Max-fossils

That Margaritaria abrupta is one of the most gorgeous bivalves I've ever seen... and that's coming from a guy that's seen way too many shells already! 

Man what a beauty!!! :wub::default_faint::envy:

One thing though... are you sure that the spelling is correct? I tried googling 'Margaritaria' and I only come up with plants :headscratch:

Anyways, your other finds are incredible too! Wow! Congrats on a really successful hunt!

Scylla

You must have been the first ones out there to have such wonderful success! Thanks for posting these. That ecphora is amazing. :wub:

Monica

I love the two-for-one deal with the tiny Chesapecten hiding within the stunning Ecphora - wow!!! :wub:

Al Dente

Looks like a good trip. The river levels need to be lower before I’ll venture out. Too hard to paddle upstream.

FossilDAWG
2 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

Hi Don. Ash was who Ok was with. You should have seen him when he found that big GW. 

The cashew shaped things are the emmons fish teeth. As far as ty he vert I have never tried to ID them. But that shape is unique. You coming to the festival?

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately I miscalculated and so I have to be in Atlanta to pick my wife up at the airport Saturday evening (the 25th).  Is there anything going on Friday (the 24th)?  

Don

Gizmo

Very nice, congrats! :thumbsu:

Rowboater

Great finds and nice descriptions.  My hunts "overlap" yours, but I don't think I have any true Great White or emmons teeth and have never seen the beautiful clam.

masonboro37

Awesome trip and finds Don! We need to go in a hunt soon!

sixgill pete
4 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Looks like a good trip. The river levels need to be lower before I’ll venture out. Too hard to paddle upstream.

Eric, the current was still very strong. Thankfully we were in a jon boat with a 25 horse engine. The water had just dropped to 5 feet at the gauge we monitor.