Burned petrified wood with quartz and gold

DiggerGuyy

I found a beautiful burned and petrified tree under a hundred feet of basalt in oregon. Can someone please help me identify this and point me in the right direction? Christopher Finck. Thank you

20190428_085920.jpg

20190429_183030.jpg

Edited by Kane
Phone number removed

You really shouldn't put your phone #'s on a post in any forum. If I'm not mistaken, you don't have to be a member to read the posts, so that could open you up to who know's what.

• I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I've removed the phone number. If other members have any input as to these pieces, those can be supplied right here for the benefit of all. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Knowing the location will help narrow down the formation. The age of the basalt is probably known, do you know the name of the basalt formation? Also pictures with a scale would help. Pictures of the ends of the pieces would help too.

In order to identify wood, You need to look at the cellular structures.

The "gold" is most likely iron pyrite, a common mineral often found with coal (petrified wood.).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you all for your replies I'm starting to think it is pyrite. Still very beautiful and very old. I do not know the name of the basalt. Here are some more pictures...

20190504_192039.jpg

20190504_192124.jpg