False False Mako? Relatively large, curved root, no bourlette.

MrR

Oh, and one other tooth that I (actually my dig-happy girlfriend found the Tiger) found at Ernst yesterday. It looks like a relatively common lower Mako, but has such a bulbous root on it that I originally thought it was the elusive Paratodus Benendeni. However, it not having a bourlette leads me to believe that it's truly a false, False Mako. :zzzzscratchchin: Thoughts? The blue cube is 1" square. Many thanks.

I just realized that the false False Mako even has a false bourlette (Mineral staining) on it. :DOH: :)

DSC06515.JPG

DSC06516.JPG

It is not a benedini in my opinion, just by looking at how straight the tooth is.

Maybe others will post their thoughts.

Kind regards.

• I found this Informative 1

IMO it could be a patho or some geological distortion

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Thanks, Macrophyseter. It being a pathology had crossed my mind. It does have that groove (nutrient?) that seems to be more central on most other Makos I've seen. Cheers.

55 minutes ago, DatFossilBoy said:

It is not a benedini in my opinion, just by looking at how straight the tooth is.

Maybe others will post their thoughts.

Kind regards.

Thanks, DatFossilBoy. I agree that it seems too straight. It does, however, have a subtle curve towards the tip, which is one thing that made me uncertain. The other thing was that I had told @caldigger that I was going to find a Paratodus yesterday, and it's as close as I got.  :rolleyes: Cheers.

Brian, can you show us a shot of it in side profile?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

25 minutes ago, MrR said:

Thanks, DatFossilBoy. I agree that it seems too straight. It does, however, have a subtle curve towards the tip, which is one thing that made me uncertain. The other thing was that I had told @caldigger that I was going to find a Paratodus yesterday, and it's as close as I got.  :rolleyes: Cheers.

It’s very intriguing indeed. It looks like the the root is abnormally fat. Shark on steroids?

Curious to see additional answers :) 

36 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Brian, can you show us a shot of it in side profile?

Be happy to.

The dimensions via digital caliper are ~29mm on longest diagonal, ~21mm wide across root, and ~9mm thick at thickest part when slightly cocked to get base of crown. Let me know if anything else would help. Thanks for checking it out. Cheers.

DSC06517.JPG

DSC06518.JPG

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

Link to dentition, scroll down. -

Wow, well, that 24mm that's at the lower left in the "Paratodus sp." group picture (From Gizmo's very informative link. Thanks.), sure looks similar. No? Interesting. I await more responses. Thanks, all.

paratodus symphaseal.png

2 hours ago, MrR said:

Wow, well, that 24mm that's at the lower left in the "Paratodus sp." group picture (From Gizmo's very informative link. Thanks.), sure looks similar. No? Interesting. I await more responses. Thanks, all.

paratodus symphaseal.png

Overall quite similar, but the root appears different, "v-shaped" rather than that distinctive "u". All, the intact root lobe is rather pointed, while these are rounded.  I think it's a lower I. hastqalis

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

14 hours ago, hemipristis said:

Overall quite similar, but the root appears different, "v-shaped" rather than that distinctive "u". All, the intact root lobe is rather pointed, while these are rounded.  I think it's a lower I. hastqalis

Below are pictures from Kent And Powell from the Mosasaur May 1999.  If the specimen was a Parotodus, it would be an a1 or a2 lower tooth. 

5ccedeb5cca4f_Parotudusdention0.thumb.jpg.84a41767e83e42a19cd54b74ec798b3c.jpg

5ccedfab1e556_Parotudusdention1.thumb.jpg.00a443389799262013c087a8f3a3f117.jpg

5ccedfa8a89fc_Parotodusdentition.thumb.jpg.676303247f29eecf9a300095de319672.jpg

However, I fully agree with hemipristis that " Overall quite similar, but the root appears different, "v-shaped" rather than that distinctive "u". All, (sic) the intact root lobe is rather pointed, while these are rounded." 

However, I think that the tooth is a lower I. planus rather than a C. hastalis.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Thank you for supplying great references, as well as your learned conclusions, Marco Sr., hemipristis, and others who contributed. I will remember that with the Paratodus Benendeni, the "U" curve of the root is a prime diagnostic. Cheers all.