On 5/8/2019 at 4:50 PM, MB said:

Congratulations.... but what is your name??? :heartylaugh:

I was lucky to be one of the reviewers of this nice paper :)

Congrats again :thumbsu:

I'm the last author.  Last and certainly least, but happy to be on the paper nonetheless.

In my own area of research, first and last author have equal weight.  Usually last is reserved for the head of the lab, the person who directs (and must get funding for) the research program.  It's a nice system because it allows grad students to have first authorship (which is important for their career) while the head of the lab can claim the equally important last authorship (which is important for continuing funding).  I know this is not true in some other fields, authors are listed in order of contribution to the work, which is often ambiguous*.  I have colleagues who always claim first authorship, and the grad student who actually did most of the experiments is relegated to second author or worse.

Don

*By this I meant who contributed more to the paper: the person who generated the hypothesis being tested, who did the preliminary experiments to prove the concept, who wrote the grants to fund the work, who designed the experiments, and generally who wrote most of the paper, or the person who carried out the experiments, did the statistical analysis, and who also contributed (sometimes a lot, sometimes not so much) to writing the paper.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

On 5/9/2019 at 4:31 PM, FossilDAWG said:

2010?  That long ago?  That trip is still a highlight for me.

I've still got family in Rock Creek and in Nelson so watch out, I'll probably drop in on you one of these days.

Don

Yeah time seems to fly by as we get older!

I'd enjoy seeing you again! Maybe we could even do a bit of collecting together!

Dan

On 11/5/2019 at 6:23 PM, FossilDAWG said:

I'm the last author.  Last and certainly least, but happy to be on the paper nonetheless.

In my own area of research, first and last author have equal weight.  Usually last is reserved for the head of the lab, the person who directs (and must get funding for) the research program.  It's a nice system because it allows grad students to have first authorship (which is important for their career) while the head of the lab can claim the equally important last authorship (which is important for continuing funding).  I know this is not true in some other fields, authors are listed in order of contribution to the work, which is often ambiguous*.  I have colleagues who always claim first authorship, and the grad student who actually did most of the experiments is relegated to second author or worse.

Don

*By this I meant who contributed more to the paper: the person who generated the hypothesis being tested, who did the preliminary experiments to prove the concept, who wrote the grants to fund the work, who designed the experiments, and generally who wrote most of the paper, or the person who carried out the experiments, did the statistical analysis, and who also contributed (sometimes a lot, sometimes not so much) to writing the paper.

Don

I know, absolutely true.

Congrats again

àlex.

:thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 1

Very cool, congratulations! Perhaps someone has another paleo partner badge coming?

Yes, congratulations on that paper.  I just read it the other day after Torrey sent me a copy.  Its alot of fun to contribute specimens new to science and get your name as an author on a paper.   Was one of the authors, including Torrey, on a crab paper some years ago that described a number of BC crabs and lobsters, including two Archeopus crabs.  It would be interesting to see what other crabbies you have picked up over the years.  As you may guess, crab fossils are a fav of mine.   Again a big congrats.