Maybe a coral?

Gravlens

Hi, new member and first post. I found this in a pile of rocks on the side of the road left when a landscaping company truck delivered a load to a new home. Sorry but that is as much as I can narrow down a location. Probably from a local area though as we don't order rock from out of state much around here.

IMG_0491 - Copy.JPG

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Looks like a scleractinian coral to me. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Wow, Thanks for your reply. You folks have an amazing grasp of these things. I showed this to some people at work and ordinary people have a lot of interest in science and nature if it is presented in terms they can relate to. One more question any idea of an age for something like this?

Nice coral. 

Without more information on the locality it will be difficult to determine an age. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I should say that this is my provisional ID... Others may chime in with something different! :D I'm assuming it may be despite what appears to be substantial weathering, as I think I can make out evidence of the ribbed coralites. 

If it is a scleractinian coral, it would not be older than the Triassic period (~252 mya). I have some from Jamaica that are Cretaceous in age. 

Of course, it could also be Hexagonaria (or something similar), which could push the potential geologic date back substantially. 

With all due respect, I do not see anything that would exclude a colonial rugosan coral.  One possibility would be Acrocyathus (formerly known as Lithostrontionella), which is common as silicified colonies in Mississippian formations in the area.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

8 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

With all due respect, I do not see anything that would exclude a colonial rugosan coral.  One possibility would be Acrocyathus (formerly known as Lithostrontionella), which is common as silicified colonies in Mississippian formations in the area.

Don

Quite likely! I just know it isn’t a trilobite. :P

15 minutes ago, Kane said:

Quite likely! I just know it isn’t a trilobite. :P

That would be quite the camouflage job!

Don

3 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

That would be quite the camouflage job!

Don

:D 

Early attempts failed spectacularly:

eldredgeops-rana-rana.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

There are definitely ribbed features on the other side. I'll upload another picture. Thanks again for your interest!

16 minutes ago, Kane said:

:D 

Early attempts failed spectacularly:

eldredgeops-rana-rana.jpg

AAAwww..... a trilo with a hat.. :tiphat:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

3 hours ago, daves64 said:

AAAwww..... a trilo with a hat.. :tiphat:

Female trilo -- that's a bonnet! :heartylaugh:

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!