ID request round items on rock

dsludden

Good morning, this item is cross posted on Facebook. This cool rock was found in the surf at Onslow Beach in Jacksonville NC. There are Gastropods, unidentified shell and mystery circles/ovals by the hundreds if not thousands. My question is what are these little round areas? The rock is shown wet in order to bring out the features listed. Size 1.5” x 1”.  The rock is smooth to touch despite seeing texture in photo.  Thank you in advance! 

7272CA96-6073-4DBF-89BC-61B9AD17A5EB.jpeg

93C06CF6-5BD3-426D-A016-09DADA92BC2B.jpeg

Maybe some form of mineral stained oolitic limestone.

• I found this Informative 3

caldigger, thank you for the information. I went to google and the images shown for oolitic limestone match my mystery rock! Thank you very much for educating me on this interesting rock! 

nice oolites and gastropods.

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

You have a sea snail fossil on the first photo. Looks like a turritella and sea snail on the second photo.

Very nice find. Certainly worthy of a home in anyone's collection. Congratulations.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Mark Kmiecik, Bronzviking and Herb, thank you for commenting on my post. It was an unusual find from this site. I love all of the interesting components found in the rock. 

6 hours ago, dsludden said:

My question is what are these little round areas?

Those are ooids of oolitic limestone. :)

I agree with the others.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Abyssunder, I have a healthy respect for your knowledge base so it is always great to see you weigh in on my posts. Thank you for responding. 

3 hours ago, dsludden said:

Abyssunder, I have a healthy respect for your knowledge base so it is always great to see you weigh in on my posts. Thank you for responding. 

You are welcome! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library