a couple of teeth that aren't croc teeth (?) maybe? Agadez

Chief1701

Hi, All.  Okay - I'm trying to learn here, so please bear with me!  I've been told that many of the teeth I've acquired here in Niger have been croc teeth, and that one of the ways to tell a croc tooth is by a circular base (basil?), while spinosauridae teeth are more oval....  That said, I offer the following two teeth for your informed evaluation!  The bigger one is relatively narrow (the side shot with the enamel curving over the top gives you an idea), with the smaller one has a distinct "ridge" on each front/back (I know those aren't the technical terms - sorry!).

As always, I greatly appreciate the education that you folks are giving me - thank you!

Rob

@Troodon

@Haravex

@jpc

@LordTrilobite

two1 w scale.jpg

two2 w scale.jpg

bigger w scale1.jpg

smaller w scale1.jpg

Can you take a picture of the root cross section of both like this b4 example of a theropod tooth.

tooth123.jpg

I was a little late in that post you have already shown the basal view I'm going with suchomimus and the larger one looks to be from a sauropod with part of jaw bone.

• I found this Informative 2

Actually that last one I'm not sure of that's me being completely honest also a little busy at the moment so will look at it on pc monitor later this evening.

12 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Actually that last one I'm not sure of that's me being completely honest also a little busy at the moment so will look at it on pc monitor later this evening.

No worries - thanks!  All info is greatly appreciated, whenever there's time!

1 hour ago, Chief1701 said:

smaller w scale1.jpg

I think I can make out tiny serrations on this one. Might need closer photos though.

36 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

I think I can make out tiny serrations on this one. Might need closer photos though.

If there are, they are smaller than my (old) naked eyes can tell....  Sadly, that's the best my camera can do!  I truly appreciate your looking at them, as well as your informed decision!  Thank you!  Rob

1 hour ago, Chief1701 said:

If there are, they are smaller than my (old) naked eyes can tell....  Sadly, that's the best my camera can do!  I truly appreciate your looking at them, as well as your informed decision!  Thank you!  Rob

(going off the first photo in your original post)

I think the tooth on the right may be a Suchomimus tooth or other related Baryonychinae.  However, I am not sure what is on the left...looks like a chunk of bone to me?  Not exactly certain

The tooth might be Spinosaurid. I wouldn't completely rule out croc.

The oval shape seems like it might be partially due to crushing. Spinosaurid teeth range from very circular to oval in cross section. But the carinae are very pronounced here and the tooth looks just a little short for a Spinosaurid. Though the shorter look might also be due to crushing as it might have made the base look fatter from the side view.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Are these teeth from Agadez like your tag indicates? If so I believe thats Jurassic in age.

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

Are these teeth from Agadez like your tag indicates? If so I believe thats Jurassic in age.

The fossil beds around Agadez are Aptian/Albian.  I don't think there are any Jurassic dinosaur beds in Niger.  I think the little brown tooth is more like Afrovenator.  The other one has bone inside it.  I don't think it is a tooth, but I have no idea what the outer black layer might be,unless it is mineral, and I know we found stuff out there with dark (not black) coverings similar to this.    

• I found this Informative 1

I am amazed and humbled by all your responses - thank you!

Rob

7 hours ago, jpc said:

The fossil beds around Agadez are Aptian/Albian.  I don't think there are any Jurassic dinosaur beds in Niger.  I think the little brown tooth is more like Afrovenator.  The other one has bone inside it.  I don't think it is a tooth, but I have no idea what the outer black layer might be,unless it is mineral, and I know we found stuff out there with dark (not black) coverings similar to this.    

Not that familar with the different beds in Niger based my comments on this paper with looks at the jurassic deposits of the Tiouraren fm 

Screenshot_20190506-044919.thumb.jpg.ed8f78a21597d1050a0e4b7550c2bcd4.jpg

can you send me pdf of this.. I can't seem to find/download it online.  

It looks like the sites he is talking about are right on the Falaise de Tiguidit (Tiguidit Cliffs)where we collected Aptian/Albian dinos.  But then, the timing of the Niger beds  seems to always include a ? 

On 5/5/2019 at 9:56 PM, Troodon said:

Yes, Sir.  All the fossils I've acquired have come from that area.  Thank you for contributions!

Rob

Here are my thoughts, yes there is both Jurassic and Cretaceous formations in the Agadez region and this is where possible confusion is arising between the specific location and the region sharing the same name. I want to say I am fairly confident in the assessment of the tooth being from a Suchomimus however I want to excersize some caution and say Baryonychinae just in case a new specimen shows up once the trouble in this region has subsided. It fits the profile oval base, slight curvature, in the second photograph faint vertical ridges and in the fourth photograph what seems to be serrations.

As for the other piece now I'm in front of the computer and have a good monitor compared to a mobile phone this is a bone section. and looks to have two foramen for blood vessels which to me would indicate either a maxilia or dentary section due to the fragmented nature however it would be impossible to indicate from what, but still a nice piece.

This is my perspective and is not gospel but what I feel are correct, but would love to hear other peoples evaluations.

Thanks Matt

map-africa-niger-agadez_2.gif

Edited by Haravex
forgot to upload image

On ‎06‎.‎05‎.‎2019 at 6:04 AM, jpc said:

The fossil beds around Agadez are Aptian/Albian.  I don't think there are any Jurassic dinosaur beds in Niger.  

Jobaria for example is from Tiouraren-Formation near Agadez and Farak-Formation nearTahoua (Aalen to Tithon; Middle to Upper Jurassic, afaik).

troodon sent me a copy of the paper he quoted above, and indeed it seems the Tiouraren Fm is now considered Jurassic.  This is where the confusion comes from.  I helped collect Jobaria in the 1990's.  It was considered Aptian/Albian then.