MedicineHat

4 hours ago, hxmendoza said:

By the way. I envy the access to Canadian fossils that you have. 

Great finds. Thanks for sharing them with all of us!

Thanks! 

I'm so glad I'm done my graduate studies in social work now so I can focus on my passion - paleontology! There is so much information about dinosaur fossils, so I appreciate this forum. Otherwise I'm just left with mostly bad guesses as to what I have collected haha.

I'm very lucky to live so close to access to fossil material. It all started about 5 years ago when I stumbled upon a full length hadrosaur femur (Dr. Curry had looked at the pictures and figured it was most likely hadrosaur)...I'll have to find the picture and post it. It was unbelievable! Probably around 6' long X 10" diameter, fully in tact!

4 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

:drool: what a collection :D

Thank you! And literally "what" haha still trying to figure that part out on many of these specimens 

9 hours ago, hxmendoza said:

I think you have your toes mixed up. The toe with the most phalanxes is the fourth toe. Digit IV, not Digit 2 (Toe 2). Unless I’ve misinterpreted what you wrote. 

The Phalanx in question is very worn but does seem to resemble the third phalanx of Digit IV

(D-IV-3). It has a distinctive collateral ligament fossa. Hadrosaur distal phalanxes tend to lack this. 

D-IV-3 tyrannosaurid phalanxes have the lateral (outside) collateral ligament fossa much more pronounced then the medial (inside facing) fossa. Though this can be very variable from specimen to specimen.

Woops, you're completely correct. I was going by my photos, wasn't thinking and got them mixed up. Thank you for the correction.

But yes, essentially that's what I meant, I just got the toe number incorrect. Indeed Digit/toe IV fourth phalanx was what I meant to say. But since you say phalanx 3 I will concede since you most likely know more about theropod toes than I do. I assume the reason you think 3 rather than 4 is because of the articulation for the ungual? I am not familiar enough to say how those are different in 3 and 4.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

• 2 months later...

MedicineHat what is the biggest tyrannosaur tooth you have ever found just wondering because when I was in Alberta (dinosaur provincial park) I found a huge bite mark in a fossil I don’t have any photos of it but I have photos of some othe fossils from Alberta 

8 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

MedicineHat what is the biggest tyrannosaur tooth you have ever found just wondering because when I was in Alberta (dinosaur provincial park) I found a huge bite mark in a fossil I don’t have any photos of it but I have photos of some othe fossils from Alberta 

Hello dinosaur man,

That's awesome that you found a bite marking. I've only found possible tooth markings that look like deep scratches. 

The largest shed tooth I found is roughly 3.25". I found a rooted tooth that is roughly 4". The crown obviously only a fraction of the total length.

One of the tooth marks on the bone was about 3.6 cm deep I wish I took photos It must of bin a huge tyrannosaur