Hello Everyone,

I’m rather fond of Giant Alopiids, and I have taken to collecting them. I find it strange that such a wonderful, yet mysterious creature remains relatively unknown and scantly studied. I may have space in my high school schedule for an independent study senior year, and I’ve considered using it to make a poster or paper on their morphology, taxonomy, phylogeny and such for The Rostrum or something. However, I’ve heard tell that there is already a comprehensive paper on giant alopiids in the works. We’ll see if there will be anything left for me to discuss.

Anyway, collecting them is a slow process as they are quite rare and I am quite cheap (I have yet to find one myself). I thought I’d make a thread to show off what I have thus far and to keep them cataloged for myself. Hopefully this page will grow as time goes on:fingerscrossed:

Dashes are around 1 inch apart.

South Carolina Alopias grandis

8B5C471B-CF34-4C47-AE10-54A5DF8FDAD4.jpeg

185CC232-57FE-4F73-B63E-7A2C3CB1B21E.jpeg

E17E1728-D7FF-456E-99C8-A4ACB674ECB3.jpeg

9E6B29F8-85FA-4886-B9D5-8C926F9973ED.jpeg

0007597C-A0A9-4762-9AA2-26567C271492.jpeg

98C3595E-A191-4533-8F05-2B5F3EB7F524.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

B5B9DB46-E5B4-406A-A6D1-69480A46B79C.jpeg

C12AB6E7-BB8A-42AA-A411-A9E418154474.jpeg

241153C8-6F62-46AC-A16F-058052C9E5DF.jpeg

E9DFC963-24C1-4793-838E-5AA5B5DD85C5.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Maryland Alopias grandis

2CC14BD0-0907-44EB-9989-CA04A4595262.jpeg

269850B3-7FF8-46CE-9AD4-C5E610402D45.jpeg

1D10C45D-CDFD-4BCB-926D-C92843F8C623.jpeg

9637E37E-24A2-4BC8-804A-CC6D59CFB421.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

South Carolina Alopias (Trigonotodus) alteri

2BD2B6EF-357B-467C-BC2F-49AB4B415399.jpeg

97BE38E4-7B01-4F8F-9EE1-65F7A9DEFEEF.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Happy hunting,

Mason

Very nice ! I just got an Alopias grandis. They are cool and mysterious. Threshers in general are just awesome sharks. Great coolection :)

*collection though coolection would be appropriate lol

Thanks @fossilsonwheels

Happy hunting,

Mason

Very cool. I only have one and I'm not even sure it really is one. Are you in your senior year already or not yet? 

2 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Very cool. I only have one and I'm not even sure it really is one. Are you in your senior year already or not yet? 

Thanks! They are quite hard to tell from other large sharks. I am reaching the tail end of my sophomore year. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice teeth. 

Very interesting collection. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice teeth. 

Very interesting collection. :)

Thanks Adam!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Stunning collection Mason :)

269850B3-7FF8-46CE-9AD4-C5E610402D45.jpeg

Alopias_grandis.jpg

So you're also a Wikipedian ;)

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Nice collection! I myself, own none!:(

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

@Macrophyseter Thanks! Yes, that is the only picture I’ve added to Wikipedia (couldn’t stand it being there without one). Took me an embarrassingly long time to put up, my html knowledge is limited to what got me a tech credit:D

Thanks @Darktooth! I’m sure you’ll find one, your eye remains better than mine!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hello,

I found my only Alopias grandis back in 2002 at Aquasco, Md (I didn't know what it was, other two guys present had to ID it!)

almach

PSAQ00002.JPG

28 minutes ago, almach said:

Hello,

I found my only Alopias grandis back in 2002 at Aquasco, Md (I didn't know what it was, other two guys present had to ID it!)

almach

PSAQ00002.JPG

Hi!

Aquasco? That’s the first I’ve heard of PG County producing Miocene fossils. On the Pax River I presume?

That’s a beauty of a thresher! Nice find! No shame in not being able to ID it, back in 2002 most weren’t even aware of their existence from what I’ve heard.

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Hi!

Aquasco? That’s the first I’ve heard of PG County producing Miocene fossils. On the Pax River I presume?

That’s a beauty of a thresher! Nice find! No shame in not being able to ID it, back in 2002 most weren’t even aware of their existence from what I’ve heard.

Hello, 

Actually it was on Swan creek, more of a trickle, than a creek.  Down in a ravine about 20 ft.  I have listed some shells and otoliths from there (Aquasco) and will eventually post some of the other shark teeth from there (more of a shell site).  See my other posts under Aquasco.   

13 hours ago, almach said:

Hello, 

Actually it was on Swan creek, more of a trickle, than a creek.  Down in a ravine about 20 ft.  I have listed some shells and otoliths from there (Aquasco) and will eventually post some of the other shark teeth from there (more of a shell site).  See my other posts under Aquasco.   

Hi WhodamanHD,  

To follow up, there is another site in PG County that has Miocene fossils.  It is near Piscataway Creek.  There is a book called Collecting Fossils in Maryland, Educational Series No. 4, by J.D. Glaser 1979, Revised 1995 (my copy), Maryland Geological Survey.  Has 16 sites listed in MD.  Don't know how many sites are still available, Aquasco is not open from what I hear.

3 hours ago, almach said:

Hi WhodamanHD,  

To follow up, there is another site in PG County that has Miocene fossils.  It is near Piscataway Creek.  There is a book called Collecting Fossils in Maryland, Educational Series No. 4, by J.D. Glaser 1979, Revised 1995 (my copy), Maryland Geological Survey.  Has 16 sites listed in MD.  Don't know how many sites are still available, Aquasco is not open from what I hear.

Hello Almach

I’d doubt any are still accessible, in the past ten years it seems that there has been exponential decreases in availability of known sites in Maryland. Because of this, I don’t use books much for sites anymore. When I pursue new sites, it is usually involves me pouring over google earth and outdated geological maps, and a ton of scouting. Of course I guess that has led me to miss the existence of PGs Miocene! Thanks for the info, I’ll be digging deeper into the maps to see if sites may still exist. 

Mason

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 2 months later...

I acquired two new A. grandis teeth from South Carolina. Both acquired for a pretty low price. Nice iron staining on the one. Dashes are approximately an inch apart. That brings my total to nine A. grandis teeth. 

68D8152C-F5FE-40DA-AB80-9B2F8740E70E.jpeg

0FF2024B-07AA-427C-8B3E-BD9F849FAF0A.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

5877549B-CC74-4F3B-B27F-E45A3025BBCC.jpeg

C74FDA4E-C3CA-48ED-9A54-8C7049EF50EA.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason