Raulsaurus

Hello!

I received this claw today 
Do you know what dinosaur it can be?
The seller assures that the claw is not restored.

Foot claw and toe bone (posible from other dinosaur) from Kem Kem (Morocco)
0% restoration, ¿Carcharodontosaurus?
Size: claw 6cm, bone 3,5cm

Thank you so much!

04915C33-2847-4437-A093-97E9712D1DF0.jpeg

7315BCF0-8936-4919-93F4-8A8CB3CE55AF.jpeg

I do not see any obvious restoration.  I definitely is not Carcharodontosaurus.  Only a few claws have been described from the Kem Kem, Spinosaurid and Abelisaurid and only to a family level.  This is a nice claw and worthy of any better collection and best described as an indeterminate theropod.  It might be an Abelisaurid but it does not have all the clear characteristics of one but who knows about all the positions that exist in the foot. The digit most likely is not from the same dinosaur. 

• I found this Informative 4

Yes, looks very nice, but the colour difference between the two pieces suggests to me they're not from the same individual. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

11 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I do not see any obvious restoration.  I definitely is not Carcharodontosaurus.  Only a few claws have been described from the Kem Kem, Spinosaurid and Abelisaurid and only to a family level.  This is a nice claw and worthy of any better collection and best described as an indeterminate theropod.  It might be an Abelisaurid but it does not have all the clear characteristics of one but who knows about all the positions that exist in the foot. The digit most likely is not from the same dinosaur. 

Hello! Thank you so much. I can show you more photos or videos for the identification. So probably Abelisaurid? Is a good one piece? 

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, looks very nice, but the colour difference between the two pieces suggests to me they're not from the same individual. 

Thank you. Yes, the color is different.

The seller told me that probably the 2 pieces are from different theropods.

Thank you but the photos you provided are adequate.  What I said is that we do not have enough scientific information to definitely say its an Abelisaurid why its best called an indeterminate theropod.   

9 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Thank you but the photos you provided are adequate.  What I said is that we do not have enough scientific information to definitely say its an Abelisaurid why its best called an indeterminate theropod.   

I see. So thank you so much. Do you think is a good piece? It is not big but I think is nice and no restored one.

I will post more special pieces that I bought :)

8 minutes ago, Raulsaurus said:

Do you think is a good piece? It is not big but I think is nice and no restored one.

Think you answered your own question there :P If you like it, then it is very nice.

I think it is a nice piece too, hard to find quality pieces from Morocco.

Looks like a very nice dinosaur claw regardless of the ID. Much better than most that are available on the market.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

12 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Not only is there disparity in the color, but I think there's a major size disparity as well.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

5 hours ago, hxmendoza said:

Can you post a photo of the ventral surface please.

Yes of course. What do you think?

3E0537E2-ACAA-448F-9F79-69C8C8A11CD2.jpeg

775D8E52-E6DA-4B1A-B014-4B33E9CC383E.jpeg

Thank you for the ventral view photos. Based on my past discussions with Paul Sereno, and the photos he has graciously shared with me I know what this claw belongs to. 

A monograph is expected on this taxon. But it has been years in the making. So hopefully soon. 

I’m not sure I am at liberty to discuss it though, out of respect for Paul. 

I’ll have to think about it.

In the meantime, it’s a great claw! Hang on to it. 

And congratulations.

29 minutes ago, hxmendoza said:

Thank you for the ventral view photos. Based on my past discussions with Paul Sereno, and the photos he has graciously shared with me I know what this claw belongs to. 

A monograph is expected on this taxon. But it has been years in the making. So hopefully soon. 

I’m not sure I am at liberty to discuss it though, out of respect for Paul. 

I’ll have to think about it.

Thank you so much. Could you tell me then what dinosaur the claw belongs to? :)

If I decide it’s okay, I will definitely share the ID.

I’m sorry about that.

41 minutes ago, hxmendoza said:

If I decide it’s okay, I will definitely share the ID.

I’m sorry about that.

Ohh, okay. If you want you can tell me by private

I always think if your privileged to know some information that is not yet ready to be publicly shared your best not to mention it on a forum. Btw nice claw . 

• I found this Informative 2

21 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I always think if your privileged to know some information that is not yet ready to be publicly shared your best not to mention it on a forum. Btw nice claw . 

You're probably right about that Bobby. Now I wish I would’ve just kept things to myself. Sorry everyone. 

3 minutes ago, hxmendoza said:

You're probably right about that Bobby. Now I wish I would’ve just kept things to myself. Sorry everyone. 

It is understandable sharing knowledge on the forum is infectious   :)

I will say this though. 

The claw is not Carcharodontosauridae, Abelisauridae, or Spinosauridae.

As for the accompanying phalanx, it is likely Spinosauridae.

:D

• I found this Informative 1

I apologize to my fellow members. But after further consideration I have decided not to divulge the info entrusted to me in confidence regarding the dinosaur this morph of claw belongs too. 

I should not have jumped the gun. When I saw the ventral pics I got a little over enthusiastic. 

The monograph will be printed eventually. Until then consider it Theropoda sp. indet.  

It’s a beautiful claw.