Burned petrified wood opalized with minerals

DiggerGuyy

I have found a burned petrified and opalized tree buried under a hundred feet of basalt with plenty of mineralization. I am trying to find out where i can have it identified and appraised. Thank you for your help. This was found in the northwest United States in the Colombia river gorge in Oregon. 

20190429_183030.jpg

20190504_184341.jpg

Rock shops, local rockhounding clubs, local university. 

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

The Forum does not do appraisals. 

As far as ID, it is my understanding that thin sections need to be taken to make any significant ID. These are just usually labeled petrified wood.  

These aren't uncommon finds, so I wouldn't expect much in the way of a payoff from this.

"Gem quality" petrified wood is not that expensive. :unsure: 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm curious as to how you can tell it was burned?

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

4 hours ago, Auspex said:

I'm curious as to how you can tell it was burned?

If you hold a match to it, it doesn't burn. Therefore it must already be burnt. :DOH:

@DiggerGuyy Fossil/petrified wood is common. Any event large enough to fossilize entire tree trunks and forests is a major event, and therefore there is no rarity of kind or color that would greatly enhance its value with maybe one or two exceptions worldwide. This isn't one of them. 99.9% of the time if you can find one piece, there are probably at least a million more like it, usually withing spitting distance. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know for sure if it was burned, it just looks like petrified charcoal. It may have been burned by ash from a volcano many years ago...

20190520_110832.jpg

20190520_110701.jpg

Another possibility is that it was caused by a process similar to destructive distillation. Google it. Charcoal is not burnt, otherwise it would just lie there on the grill and refuse to ignite. Some of the branches and stems in a fire should have burnt all the way through. Is the evidence of heat/fire found only on the surface? It requires looking at many more specimens to form that hypothesis. So, to better understand the cause, you'll need to do a lot more investigation. Go for it!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!