Found a interesting fossil stone in Toronto area, can someone identify the ID please?

hong

7 minutes ago, middevonian said:

Edited... much obliged.

I don't agree that Platystrophia ponderosa is a synonym of Vinlandostrophia ponderosa. Platystrophia was revised and split and the genus Vinlandostrophia was erected.

Revise it if you disagree: LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

8 minutes ago, piranha said:

Revise it if you disagree: LINK

As I understand it:

- Platystrophia is still a valid genus

- the New World Platystrophia were revised and placed in the new genus Vinlandostrophia

How is it possible that the two genera are synonymous? Can you please explain? Not trying to be difficult... just trying to understand. 

Two genera are not synonymous.  The previous comments were about the species Vinlandostrophia ponderosa

The synonyms are the species of Platystrophia that were placed in Vinlandostrophia. 

1 hour ago, piranha said:

Two genera are not synonymous.  The previous comments were about the species Vinlandostrophia ponderosa

The synonyms are the species of Platystrophia that were placed in Vinlandostrophia. 

That's my point exactly. What I'm gleaning from your link and Zuykov, M.A., and Harper, D.A.T., 2007 is that Vinlandostrophia ponderosa was placed in the wrong genus of Platystrophia. If that is the case, then in fact, they were never Platystrophia. A thing cannot be synonymous to something it never was. Therefor it should be written Vinlandostrophia ponderosa (formerly in Platystrophia), as convention dictates, not Vinlandostrophia (=Platystrophia) ponderosa.

The terms are interchangeable and there are papers that use "formerly" and "=" for Vinlandostrophia ponderosa, so convention dictates that either form is acceptable. 

22 minutes ago, middevonian said:

If that is the case, then in fact, they were never Platystrophia. A thing cannot be synonymous to something it never was.

The fact they were never Platystrophia does not negate that those species are now regarded as synonyms. 

19 minutes ago, piranha said:

The terms are interchangeable and there are papers that use "formerly" and "=" for Vinlandostrophia ponderosa, so convention dictates that either is form is acceptable. 

They shouldn't be. They don't mean the same thing.

6 minutes ago, piranha said:

The fact they were never Platystrophia does not negate that those species are now regarded as synonyms. 

It should. It only creates more confusion.

20 minutes ago, middevonian said:

It should. It only creates more confusion.

It would be more confusing to any future research to omit the taxonomic history. 

28 minutes ago, piranha said:

It would be more confusing to any future research to omit the taxonomic history. 

I didn't suggest that it should be omitted.