jmersh

Hello friends! I am going on a trip to Summerville to go find some fossils! The problem is that I had no idea where to look. Can anyone please comment or send me some specific locations where you have had luck finding sharks teeth (megalodon specifically)? I would really appreciate it if you all would help me out! Thanks!

Fossildude19

Search the Forum for GMR - Green Mill Run river.  ;) 

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

jmersh
18 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Search the Forum for GMR - Green Mill Run river.  ;) 

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

That isn’t in Summerville though is it? I’m trying to find Summerville-specific locations...

Praefectus

Hello @jmersh

Most people are going to be reluctant to reveal their secret fossil spots. I recommend searching the internet for a fossil hunting tour guide service. Guides cost money, but they take you out to one of their spots and show you where and what to do. 

Fossildude19
2 hours ago, jmersh said:

That isn’t in Summerville though is it? I’m trying to find Summerville-specific locations...

Oops! You are correct! I guess South Carolina geography is not my forté.  :blush:

Sorry.

Mark Kmiecik

I believe that collecting in town is illegal. Other than private property, any creek, ditch, roadcut, or natural exposure in the area around Summerville can be productive. I've never been there but feel that I could find a spot where I could hunt and find at least a couple the first time around. I would look for any "dirt" roads in the area, park the car and walk the road itself checking the surface especially after a heavy rain. If you can,find construction sites or quarries and get permission to look.

FossilDAWG
12 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I believe that collecting in town is illegal. Other than private property, any creek, ditch, roadcut, or natural exposure in the area around Summerville can be productive. I've never been there but feel that I could find a spot where I could hunt and find at least a couple the first time around. I would look for any "dirt" roads in the area, park the car and walk the road itself checking the surface especially after a heavy rain. If you can,find construction sites or quarries and get permission to look.

You seem to "know" a lot for someone who has never been there. :wacko:

Collecting in town is not illegal.  Digging or use of any tools (even a hand trowel) is illegal, but you can surface collect.

Don

Mark Kmiecik
1 minute ago, FossilDAWG said:

You seem to "know" a lot for someone who has never been there. :wacko:

Collecting in town is not illegal.  Digging or use of any tools (even a hand trowel) is illegal, but you can surface collect.

Don

Just what I've read on the forum and seen in YouTube videos. I recall someone mentioning on this forum that it was illegal, but I may be mistaken. Either way, I imagine that the town itself has been well picked over if digging inside the city limits had become a problem. I would have a high level of confidence just starting a "cold" first-visit search in that area, as opposed to less accessible places like Mazon Creek, from which most first-time collectors will walk away with zip if they have no guidance. The information I gave is a generic assemblage of places one could find fossils. You'll notice that I gave no directions to specific sites. I listed the things I would look for if I were going there for the first time and nothing else, hoping it would be helpful.