Question about trilobites

Savvas

Hi! I am new to this forum and really new to this hobby. I have a newbie somehow silly question, so correct me if I am wrong, but a fossil of a trilobite is the exoskeleton that was permineralized, so anything organic on the trilobite was replaced with inorganic materials and thus the whole body was preserved through years, my question would be what about the insides of the fossil, with an exray can we see insides or there are no insides any more?

There are no silly questions here,and welcome

The soft part anatomy ("insides") is occasionally preserved,due to special circumstances during fossilization,of course.

erikssorstenlagerstswedencambritrilobutsoftpartdigestivegastrointestiPLOSijournal.pone.0035625.PDF

Citation: Eriksson ME, Terfelt F (2012) Exceptionally Preserved Cambrian Trilobite Digestive System Revealed in 3D by Synchrotron-Radiation X-Ray Tomographic
Microscopy. PLoS ONE 7(4): e35625. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0035625

KEYWORDS:OR

• I found this Informative 1

some of you may like:

McRobertsttrilolagerstUSAphacopgsal 2013.pdf

Original spotted patterns on Middle Devonian phacopid trilobites from western and central New York
Christopher A. McRoberts, Thomas A. Hegna, Jeri J. Burke, Morgan L. Stice, Steven K. Mize, and Markus J. Martin

GEOLOGY, May 2013; v. 41; no. 5; p. 607–610;  Published online 18 March 2013

• digit changed the title to Question about trilobites
1 hour ago, Savvas said:

I have a newbie somehow silly question, so correct me if I am wrong

See! Not silly at all. ;)

Welcome to the forum. Καλώς ήρθες!

Cheers.

-Ken

Occasionally the soft internal body parts of an organism are preserved as in the case of many Mazon Creek (Illinois) fossils, as a surficial compression or coloration variations, in which cases it is readily evident to the naked eye. (Google Essexella Asherae, a Mazon Creek jellyfish) In the case of internal permineralization or replacement the density of the material would be too homogeneous to become a visible difference using x-rays.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

8 hours ago, digit said:

See! Not silly at all. ;)

Welcome to the forum. Καλώς ήρθες!

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you all of you for everything and for making feel so welcome on this community, I really appreciate it! Ευχαριστώ πολύ!