Where to get 1/8th stainless mesh

Northern Neck

Hey guys, new here.  So I made a few of the shark tooth sifters with pool noodles.  They work great but I can only find the 1/4th wire.  Does anyone know who sells the 1/8th mesh that's stainless? I tried window screen material and that's awful in my opinion.  Recently ordered a pan sifter off Amazon and it had the stainless wire 1/8th in it. But I need sheets to make my own.  The 1/4th catches bigger teeth fine but the sand shark teeth usually pass thru the 1/4th mesh. 

hardware store?  If they sell 1/4 inch, they should have 1/8 inch.  Or try another hardware store. 

I've only found 1/2" and 1/4" (non-stainless) wire mesh at the big box stores. That's what I use to make my standard sifting screens with for the Peace River.

I did a quick internet search for "stainless steel mesh" and turned up a few suppliers which have mesh in a variety of metal types: aluminum, brass, bronze, copper, galvanized, plain steel, and stainless steel. If you really want stainless that would be an option. I've found that the standard galvanized more readily (and cheaply) available works just fine--though I am sifting in "fresh" water and not salt water so that might make a difference.

I've had good success using the stackable green plastic sifters (they fit over a 5-gallon bucket perfectly). I have a complete set from 1/2" through 1/100" (bought together) but you can buy individual mesh sizes separately. They look a bit like this and can be purchased from a large South American river (no, wait, I guess the website and the river are not associated). :P Just search for "stackable sifting screen" and you'll find these. They are stainless, BTW.

917aijG5DBL._SL1500_.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks Ken! I actually got one of those and that's the screen I would like to use and make my own with.  I like the bigger square models. Call me picky.. but that green sifter is very nice. Going to use one this weekend. My concern is saltwater but again if I make them with cheap wire i can always rebuild. They are fun to make! I found some decent teeth using the 1/4th inch but I know I'm missing alot that slip thru 

If you prefer the DIY approach, you should be able to find some bulk mesh online. The big box stores only seem to carry 1/2" and 1/4" which is mainly what I use sifting. When I collect micro-matrix, I insert a loose piece of window screen (approximately 1/16" mesh size) into the lower sifting screen. That may be smaller than you want as a mesh size but it is fun to collect micro-matrix, dry it, and pick through it at home. Lots of interesting micros once you get down below the 1/4" size. :) You may have to find a commercial supplier of mesh to get rolls of 1/8" but it should be readily available online. If the cost of stainless seems out of reach then you can always try to rinse off your sifting screens after each use (bring some empty plastic milk jugs with tap water to rinse down the equipment after exposure to salt water). A light spray of WD-40 may also help to keep standard galvanized wire mesh lasting longer.

Happy hunting--we want to see photos of your micro-finds.

Cheers.

-Ken

I'll use some gun oil on the wire. That's a good idea.  I rinsed off after this weekend but I know sooner or later they will rust.

This was last weekend. All sand sharks mostly. But still like finding  

IMG_20190505_170251-01.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

One heck of a good weekend! Nice finds. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

For my small screen mesh I use the stainless steel flyscreen mesh that is used for security screens and doors it is about 1/16 of an inch.

I got some off cuts from a local manufacturer of aluminium doors and windows.

It is sold as superscreen or crimsafe in Australia and I used a pair of tin snips to cut it to size but you could use a grinder.

I would assume the same product is used in your area.

Mike

• 3 months later...