Impression in amber

daves64

Yes, you read that right. I have a piece of amber with an impression, not an inclusion. I got a small order of Indonesian amber in on Monday & 1 piece had an interesting impression. The size of the impression is 2.5 cm wide x 3 cm tall & curved in an almost 1/2 circle as you will see by the pics. I'm seeing what appears to be a leaf of some sort, veins & all. I've never heard of an impression in amber before, not saying they don't exist, just that I had never heard of one. Indonesian amber is Early Miocene @ 10 to 23 MYO if that helps any. Pics 1 & 2 show the impression, 3 & 4 show the curvature. This particular amber type tends to be called zebra or cloudy amber for obvious reasons. The white areas are who knows how many tiny air bubbles trapped in the resin. This is (obviously) one piece I'm not going to be doing anything with. It's staying as is. :D I'm now going to search for impressions in amber on the web (this should be fun).. :headscratch:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Ok, just found that they do actually exist. Icicle amber is what it's called when it's found. The resin drips down onto a lower branch & begins to build up, which explains the curvature. Guess there was a leaf there as well. I guess you really can learn something on the internet. Just gotta figure out what the leaf was if possible.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

20190508_110434.png

You sure you weren't hungry and just took a big bite out of it?! ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I'm not a vegan & I'm pretty sure that could be classified as a vegan snack. A weird one, but...  :heartylaugh: