Was told this was a tiger shark

Raptorunner

I was told this was a Tiger shark tooth found inland United States ans was a couple million years old. Now I'm not to keen on shark teeth but I don't think the information is correct. If anyone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated thank you. 20190508_225250.thumb.jpg.5f02d0e6e0f82ad5e919a06c06f9b165.jpg

Not a Tiger Shark. Looks like a Megalodon tooth

That is not a tiger shark tooth. I agree with fossilsonwheels. It looks like a Megalodon. 

Tiger shark teeth have a unique crescent/hook shape. Below is a picture of a tiger shark tooth and a live tiger shark. 

5cd3b0bd631ad_TigerSharkTooth.jpg.a1391cfa185d55751d44d0c6299e210e.jpg

5cd3b0bdaef66_TigerShark.jpg.8817ae94401736fc0fea2a6ea49dd9c0.jpg

Wow! You guys really think it could be a meg? That's awesome considering I got the tooth for really cheap

23 minutes ago, Raptorunner said:

Wow! You guys really think it could be a meg? That's awesome considering I got the tooth for really cheap

It looks like a Megalodon. I'm making that call based off the shape of the root and the presence of what looks like an eroded bourlette in the middle of the tooth. From your picture, it also looks like your tooth has faint, worn serrations. Giant Makos (C. Hastalis) also have teeth of that approximate shape and size, but I'm leaning more toward Meg for your tooth. 

5 hours ago, Praefectus said:

It looks like a Megalodon. I'm making that call based off the shape of the root and the presence of what looks like an eroded bourlette in the middle of the tooth. From your picture, it also looks like your tooth has faint, worn serrations. Giant Makos (C. Hastalis) also have teeth of that approximate shape and size, but I'm leaning more toward Meg for your tooth. 

Agree.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

I too would say Meg.  This would be the largest size Tiger ever if it were.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thanks guys for all the responses I didn't think it was a tiger shark but had no clue it could've been a meg. Honestly I thought it was a giant mako.

IMO, the crown and root seems too robust and thick (lingually convex) to be a hastalis.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png