Second (and third) crab fossil from southern Vancouver Island

This crab along with another of the same type are currently with Torrey Nyborg of Loma Linda University in California.

I'm told they are Paradoxicarcinus sp. (possibly P. nimonoides or maybe something new). At any rate Torrey Nyborg expressed interest in examining and describing them because he felt they may be something new. If they are indeed new and/or are published they will be donated to the Royal British Columbia Museum, in my hometown of Victoria (BC), not far from where these and other crab fossils were found).

Crab 1-FS.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Nice. 

I do hope they are something new. 

Good luck! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice. 

I do hope they are something new. 

Good luck! :)

Thanks! We'll have to wait and see what the experts think! :)

1 hour ago, Heteromorph said:

Lovely little crab! Hope it is new as well. :popcorn:

I've been holding on to this little guy for nearly 30 years so a few more months of waiting seems nothing to find out if it's something new! I'm just really happy that Torrey Nyborg thought it was worth examining more closely!

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Hey Dan, I hope they turn out to be new.  Torrey is a good guy to work with, in my experience.

Great to see you back on the Forum! 

Don

Hey Don, good to be back!

I haven't done any collecting in years, but I'm starting to send things out to various people to study. Fingers crossed that some may end up making it to publication and find a permanent home at the RBCM.

Dan

• I found this Informative 1

10 hours ago, MB said:

Great find, yes, it recall Paradoxicarcinus, but wait what torray says.

:)

Thanks Alex! I'm excited to see what Torrey finally decides. He mentioned wanting to examine the spines in more detail.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Cool find that has been in storage for 30 years...ha ha.  Your specimen sure has Paradoxicarcinus nimonoides features.  Hopefully, a close look will show the spines on the front and lateral margins.  Do you have the negative?  We thought this crab was limited to one spot when the paper got published,  but now has been found at a number of spots.  Its a very cool crab and would be cool if it turns out to be a new species.  I tried sending a link to a paper, but you might try it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Paradoxicarcinus&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwizsvT3qa_iAhUOTN8KHdhmBH4QsAR6BAgIEAE&biw=1920&bih=937#

Related images:
image.jpeg.04187bf341a0c20696ed676d7f8b8020.jpeg
Related image
Related image
Related image
Related image
Related image
Related image
Related image