Help wanted breaking open a potential (Ammonite) fossil find

hpcc1234

I picked up this stone on the beach at Rhyl (North Wales).  It looks like it might have at least one ammonite inside it.

I was going to wallop it with the hammer, but then thought I might do some damage to what could be potentially a nice set of fossils.

Each successive face is what was facing the ruler in the previous image, the last two being the "ends".

Any suggestions, advice or ideas as to the best way forward would be appreciated.

Thanks.

P1270811.JPG

P1270812.JPG

P1270813.JPG

P1270814.JPG

P1270815.JPG

P1270816.JPG

Unless you have the tools to do a mechanical preparation, a whack with the hammer is the way to go. :) 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Any idea which side is the best side to wallop? :hammer01:

And I am right?  It does have at least one Ammonite in it?  :fingerscrossed:

Is it worth sending away to someone who knows what they are doing?  :headscratch:

I do not see any evidence of an ammonite in this rock, but I am not familiar with the area.

You can see 2 bands of darker matrix (pic 2, 4 and 5). I would hit it between the two lines.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I also don't see obvious evidence of an ammonite, but nothing ventured nothing gained.  There are some incipient cracks, such as in the last photo, and I would target these.  People have said "whack with a hammer", but I would start with gentle taps and become more forceful if the rock does not yield.  Also, I would clear the area and lay out a sheet or something to catch pieces that fly off.  It would be a shame the have a nice fossil shatter under a hammer whack, and lose significant bits so you can't glue it back together.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

And wear safety glasses!!! Nothing will ruin your day like a rock to the eyeball...

There aren't any ammonites in north Welsh rocks - plenty of other fossils though so a hammer is the way to go. It could be a Carboniferous limestone which is often fossiliferous.

• I found this Informative 4

Tarquin

Wearing safety goggles, take a chisel and put it in the fracture and lightly tap with a hammer. It might split for you. Good luck.

Would the freeze/heat method not work with this nodule?? 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

14 hours ago, Yoda said:

Would the freeze/heat method not work with this nodule?? 

Possibly, depending on the porosity. If it doesn't soak up any water, freeze/thaw won't work. Water has to get into the "cracks" in order to push from inside as it freezes. Judging by the wear of this piece, I'm guessing that in Wales it has been frozen and thawed enough times by mother nature to have already split. I think the hammer may be the way to go. I would try to split the seam that is most obvious in the last image. I think I see something poking out at the front edge there, although it may just be mineralization, which would explain why it didn't soak in any water and crack by itself over the years prior to discovery. It may be nothing more than an interesting rock.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!