Land in Hell Creek formation

Ron-Nan

Hello, I was always interested if it is possible to buy land on formation (e.g. Morrison, Hell Creek) and excavate fossils legally. Please answer if you know any land for sale in this area. 

P.S. Sorry for my bad english, it is not my spoken language

Welcome to the Forum. :)

You would be better off looking at a real estate website, rather than here.   

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

9 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Morocco?

3 minutes ago, Ron-Nan said:

Morocco?

Errrr. 

Yes, Morocco. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 minutes ago, Ron-Nan said:

Morocco?

It's a country in northern Africa.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

15 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Errrr. 

Yes, Morocco. :)

Why are you writing about Morocco here?

13 minutes ago, Ron-Nan said:

Why are you writing about Morocco here?

I was just being polite and welcoming you to the forum. 

It also helps to bump the thread so more people can see it. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

13 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I was just being polite and welcoming you to the forum. 

It also helps to bump the thread so more people can see it. :)

Sorry then, I thought you were spamming. 

I know, I was born there

Hi, and welcome from Illinois. You would have more luck checking for available land in that area with a real estate company that has offices in the states where the Hell Creek and Morrison formations are found.

Mark.

2 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Hi, and welcome from Illinois. You would have more luck checking for available land in that area with a real estate company that has offices in the states where the Hell Creek and Morrison formations are found.

I don’t really need it know) Just was interested

4 minutes ago, Ron-Nan said:

People don't generally post land for sale here.  

A little civility goes a long way, here. ;) 

• I found this Informative 3

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Just now, Fossildude19 said:

People don't generally post land for sale here.  

A little civility goes a long way, here. ;) 

As I said, I don’t want to buy it. I was just interested if it is possible to find the land with fossils

3 minutes ago, Ron-Nan said:

You would need to purchase a ranch of at least 5,000 acres in just the right place to have any hope of unearthing any dino fossils from that land. The average price is currently $2,035 per acre. That means you need to spend 10 million dollars just so you can start digging, and there's no guarantee that you would find anything worth the time or money invested.

Mark.

Just now, Ron-Nan said:

As I said, I don’t want to buy it. I was just interested if it is possible to find the land with fossils

Yes. It is possible. 

How do you know all these staff? Were you (or your friend) trying to do something similar?

edit: forgot to quote Mark Kmiecik

Edited by Ron-Nan

2 minutes ago, Ron-Nan said:

How do you know all these staff? Were you (or your friend) trying to do something similar?

I'm 68 years old. I have lived in the Chicago, Il area all of my life. I have owned recreational property in other states. I have done a lot of fossil hunting and I know how much land you have to search to find that kind of fossil by association with the people who do it. I know how to check the price of land online, and my math skills are most excellent.

I say this under the assumption that you meant to type "stuff" and not "staff". If you did mean "staff", I don't know them except from this forum.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

1 minute ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I'm 68 years old. I have lived in the Chicago, Il area all of my life. I have owned recreational property in other states. I have done a lot of fossil hunting and I know how much land you have to search to find that kind of fossil by association with the people who do it. I know how to check the price of land online, and my math skills are most excellent.

I say this under the assumption that you meant to type "stuff" and not "staff". If you did mean "staff", I don't know them except from this forum.

Sorry, wanted to write stuff, english is not my first or even second language. Thank you very much for your replies.

1 minute ago, Ron-Nan said:

Sorry, wanted to write stuff, english is not my first or even second language. Thank you very much for your replies.

It's ok. If you have any questions about fossils or rocks that you need to identify, please ask and we will try to help. 

Mark.

Just now, Mark Kmiecik said:

It's ok. If you have any questions about fossils or rocks that you need to identify, please ask and we will try to help. 

Sure, thank you very much

American laws allow the owner of a piece of land to dig fossils on said private lands. 

You can not dig on public lands for vertebrae fossils.

So, yes, You could buy some land and then dig fossils there (if any fossils are there.).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

25 minutes ago, ynot said:

American laws allow the owner of a piece of land to dig fossils on said private lands. 

You can not dig on public lands for vertebrae fossils.

So, yes, You could buy some land and then dig fossils there (if any fossils are there.).

Is it specifically digging or collecting in general?

Don't areas in Florida and places like Big Brook and probably many more around the country have vertebrate material that are open to collecting?

Is it for specific animals or places?

Sorry for all the questions but I also am not yet familiar with this stuff.

2 hours ago, Misha said:

Don't areas in Florida and places like Big Brook and probably many more around the country have vertebrate material that are open to collecting?

Is it for specific animals or places?

Sorry for all the questions but I also am not yet familiar with this stuff.

Federal laws apply to National Parks and other federal lands no matter which state they are in. States have their own laws that apply to State Parks and lands, but do not take precedence over federal laws. Counties have laws that apply to County Parks and lands, but do not take precedence over federal or state laws. Municipalities have laws that apply to . . . and individuals can do certain things depending on whether they own their land or lease it, in accordance with municipal, county, state and federal law. Privately owned land may also be restricted to surface rights because the authorities in most locations don't want people inadverdently digging up their electrical, water or sewage lines. This is not an exact breakdown of how it works. The real version is much more complicated and determined by courts at the various levels. The bottom line is that one must check what the law is for the land where one intends to collect. In other words, you have to check with the local authorities. You can ask the local police; they'll know because they're the ones who must enforce the existing laws. Never make the assumption that what you want to do is ok. Ignorance is not an excuse if you break a law. "I didn't know" does not count in court! Always check when trying a new area, and always get permission to hunt private property.

• I found this Informative 2

Mark.

2 hours ago, Misha said:

Those sites are state land, and each state has it's own set of regulations.

2 hours ago, Misha said:

Should have said collecting. 

6 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

You can ask the local police; they'll know because they're the ones who must enforce the existing laws. 

I disagree with this because (in My experience) they have the practice of "if You don't know what the laws are, go with the strictest possible definition".

I have had police tell Me I was in violation of the laws when digging crystals on public land, but could not cite any regulation to support their claim. They were not to happy when I proved them wrong (and continued to dig in front of them.).