Noasaurus leili tooth

This is being sold as a noasaurus leili tooth from Patagonia. How does it look? It measures 1inch and is it ID’ed correctly? On a scale of common to almost impossible to acquire where is it? Thanks in advance.

A77BDB35-9A08-48E9-A9C9-9D491A036777.jpeg

Noasaurus leali is from the North-west of Patagonia, more specific the Lecho formation near Salta. Patagonia is the southern part of Argentina. Withouth beter provenance, stay away from it. As far as I found online, no teeth of the species are found, however the teeth should look like Masiakasaurus teeth, what doesn't look like it. Just a name to get a fast sale. 

Tooth seems to be Abelisaurid by the looks of it. Maybe label it Abelisaurid indet.

• I found this Informative 2

23 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Noasaurus leali is from the North-west of Patagonia, more specific the Lecho formation near Salta. Patagonia is the southern part of Argentina. Withouth beter provenance, stay away from it. As far as I found online, no teeth of the species are found, however the teeth should look like Masiakasaurus teeth, what doesn't look like it. Just a name to get a fast sale. 

Tooth seems to be Abelisaurid by the looks of it. Maybe label it Abelisaurid indet.

what about aucasaurus, carnotaurus or abelisaurus?

Do you have a specific locality and formation this tooth is claimed to be from? Without that you cannot go any further with identification other than its an abelsaurid.  I doubt that anyone can provide the proper provenance for this tooth and thats typical for all dinosaur material sold from south america

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

what about aucasaurus, carnotaurus or abelisaurus?

Patagonia is over 1000000 square kilometers, or about the same size as Egypt. There are multiple formations in this area and without the exact formation Abelisaurid indet. is the best you'll ever get for an ID.

Agreed, without a more specific location, we can't really attempt to determine what species it might belong to.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Given that the ID appears to be very suspect, the locality just a general one and no use in identification should that cast doubt that it acutally comes from Argentina? 

10 hours ago, Troodon said:

Do you have a specific locality and formation this tooth is claimed to be from? Without that you cannot go any further with identification other than its an abelsaurid.  I doubt that anyone can provide the proper provenance for this tooth and thats typical for all dinosaur material sold from south america

will ask the seller

13 hours ago, TyBoy said:

Given that the ID appears to be very suspect, the locality just a general one and no use in identification should that cast doubt that it acutally comes from Argentina? 

Very true.  Only seen this form of abelsaurid tooth from the Kem Kem and there are a lot of color variations in those teeth from light tan to dark red.   The other aspect is that very little is published on small bodied abelsaurid teeth from Argentina so trying to tie a specific morphology to a genus/species will be very difficult.

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

Very true.  Only seen this form of abelsaurid tooth from the Kem Kem and there are a lot of color variations in those teeth from light tan to dark red.   The other aspect is that very little is published on small bodied abelsaurid teeth from Argentina so trying to tie a specific morphology to a genus/species will be very difficult.

Having a closer look at it, this tooth seems very similar to the kem kem abelisaurid tooth in my profile except it's streaks on this tooth but lines on the profile one. The one here seems quite a deal darker in colour though.

4 hours ago, Pterygotus said:

Having a closer look at it, this tooth seems very similar to the kem kem abelisaurid tooth in my profile except it's streaks on this tooth but lines on the profile one. The one here seems quite a deal darker in colour though.

Kem Kem teeth can range from tan to dark red or brown. I'd say this is at least close to the known colour spectrum we see in the Kem Kem beds. But a photo taken in sunlight might help with seeing the true colours of the fossil.

The morphology seems quite consistent with the Abelisaurid teeth from the Kem Kem beds too.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite