May the claw be with you...

MedicineHat

Very cool coulees :popcorn:

10 hours ago, MedicineHat said:

I found an unknown piece. It's a bone with marrow inside but has these strange spikes or bumps on it. Any ideas?

20190510_093942-1152x648.jpg

20190510_094034-1152x648.jpg

20190510_094039-1152x648.jpg

20190510_094044-1152x648.jpg

20190510_094051-1152x648.jpg

20190510_094101-1152x648.jpg

20190510_094154-1152x648.jpg

Are those bumps quill knobs maybe?

14 hours ago, Troodon said:

That is a cool tyrannosaurid hand claw you found, not many around, Congrat.  Reminder that the name troodon is no longer valid in the DP formation...either Latenivenatrix or Stenonychosaurus.

That's news to me. I finally find a troodon tooth after forever searching and its not troodon, rather Latenivenatrix or Stenonychosaurus. Very fun! 

Thanks 

26 minutes ago, MedicineHat said:

That's news to me. I finally find a troodon tooth after forever searching and its not troodon, rather Latenivenatrix or Stenonychosaurus. Very fun! 

Thanks 

That was a Phil Currie et al paper 2017.    So its best called Troodontid indet.    Those from younger deposits of the Horseshoe Canyon are probably also Troodontid but Albertavenator has been described from there, not sure if there is a second species to be found. Nice tooth though whatever you call it.   

10 hours ago, MedicineHat said:

There is another place called lost river off the 501 south of manyberries. I've looked around the area and it seems very fossil rich. The exact location has eluded me. I tried to follow the directions from some of the other members here but I got confused a little on the exact point. In any case, these coulees run all the way to the milk river valley which is also very fossil rich. I think anywhere in the coulees in the southeast corner of ab are great. 

I stopped by the side of the road near an outcropping, there were no signs . I hiked around, disappeared into the coulees, found some fossils and headed back. Not a other single car around for hours.

Thanks for the info. I’m newer to Alberta and only starting hiking for fossils last year.  I went hiking in horseshoe and horse thief crayons last year but they are both very busy places.  I will take a look at the Red Deer River access points and see what I can find.  How do you know who to ask for permission to go on the land?  The nearest farmer?

11 hours ago, Scylla said:

Very cool coulees :popcorn:

Are those bumps quill knobs maybe?

I'm not sure what quill knobs are but it's a strange bone fragment. I usually see smooth pieces or rugous or patterned. Likewise, these 'knobs' indicate they may serve a function of the design. I like it because it may indicate something regarding the identity. 

7 hours ago, Vacationgirl said:

Thanks for the info. I’m newer to Alberta and only starting hiking for fossils last year.  I went hiking in horseshoe and horse thief crayons last year but they are both very busy places.  I will take a look at the Red Deer River access points and see what I can find.  How do you know who to ask for permission to go on the land?  The nearest farmer?

Yup. Lots of times on lease land the phone contact is posted "call before you enter". I sometimes wonder if its saying too much to tell them exactly what your up to. "I like hiking along the river valleys with my kids" we sometimes get distracted. I've not been in any trouble but I've talked to some folks who had been treated badly by some ranchers. There is no trust in society. I'm not dure that's getting any better, generally speaking. I think diplomacy with the locals is best chance for access. Takes time ...and sometimes a bottle of scotch.

I'm hoping to do a little searching around the tolman area next weekend. I hope I can get access myself.

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, Scipio said:

Thanks for the photos and congrats on the claw! That is not an everyday find!

Thanks! It's a big moment :)

2 hours ago, MedicineHat said:

I'm not sure what quill knobs are but it's a strange bone fragment. I usually see smooth pieces or rugous or patterned. Likewise, these 'knobs' indicate they may serve a function of the design. I like it because it may indicate something regarding the identity. 

Quill knobs are bumps on bird and dinosaur arm bones where feathers attach. They have been found on velociraptor for example.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Quill+knobs

19 minutes ago, Scylla said:

Quill knobs are bumps on bird and dinosaur arm bones where feathers attach. They have been found on velociraptor for example.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Quill+knobs

Oh yeah, I looked at some fossils with quill knobs and it definitely looks like it could be. Thanks for the comments

Just curious cause I don’t know how it works out there. Are there area you can go walk and pick up fossils like this or was this on land you had to pay to hunt on? Someday I’d like to make my way out to the badlands lol. 

Great trip! Awesome finds!

• 2 weeks later...