Praefectus

Hello all, 

I purchased two small Moroccan shark teeth and would like to nail down their species. I think they are either Cretolamna appendiculata or small Otodus obliquus teeth. Please let me know what you think. 

20190510_135217.jpg.a127455051185d0bc51b6be3d3a4577f.jpg

8 hours ago, Praefectus said:

Hello all, 

I purchased two small Moroccan shark teeth and would like to nail down their species. I think they are either Cretolamna appendiculata or small Otodus obliquus teeth. Please let me know what you think. 

20190510_135217.jpg.a127455051185d0bc51b6be3d3a4577f.jpg

I believe the left to be Cretolamna appendaiculata and the right Otodus based upon several factors: 

In the left tooth, the indentation on the basal portion of the root appears to be "pushed in", creating two distinct root lobes that are flattened and rounded/pointed at the tips. There is also the lack of the  "Otodus root bulge" at the center of the root on this lingual side. The root is less massive overall.  The blade is also less massive and flatter, more useful for slicing

The tooth on the right has the "Otodus root bulge", and a more massive root overall.  Note the U-shape curve of the entire root base in comparison to the other. Also, the ends of the root lobes are squared off. The blade is also thicker and more massive, better for grasping larger prey.

At least that's my two cents

• I found this Informative 3

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana