Echinoid Jackpot! 7 species! 3 need help ID'ing - Texas Cretaceous

JamieLynn

I found "A SPOT" finally!! Found 7 species of echinoids, and am over the moon! I am able to ID some but not all. Could use a little help please! Location: Comal County near Canyon Lake TX. Cretaceous Glen Rose.  I'll post pics of the others i have tentatively ID'd in the comments post,  I would appreciate confirmation on those too. Here are the ones I am not sure about: I thought these first ones were Coenholectypus, but they are very "off center". But they could just be squished. DSCN1385.thumb.JPG.0e346f67c92d5295ccbc961a09280448.JPG

Is this Pseudodiadema perhaps?

DSCN1381.thumb.JPG.914a83ca9fc6615f1d55e8f3cc855a6d.JPG

Perhaps too small and busted up a specimen to ID. 

DSCN1378.thumb.JPG.67338fe50719bce0c674a50aa459a973.JPG

Thanks for your help!! 

• I found this Informative 1

These I think I have ID's correctly. For sure the first one is Pygopyrina hancockensis! Yay!! Second one I think is Orthopsis comalensis and the last (and most exciting for me even though it's TINY pieces) Is Paracidaris texanusDSCN1377.thumb.JPG.cf1d14d9ebe0985e74993d29a5645404.JPGDSCN1380.thumb.JPG.402a5eb38e5c8ff859964e10e3661b3a.JPGDSCN1382.thumb.JPG.86c719776d8b4b9fdfd7b8bdf391873a.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Nice finds.

What formation are these from? Also, give us a general location such as county, town, creek etc.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

See this wonderful paper on the 22 species of Glen Rose echinoids.

Smith, Andrew & L. Rader, William. (2009). Echinoid diversity, preservation potential and sequence stratigraphical cycles in the Glen Rose Formation (Early Albian, Early Cretaceous), Texas, USA. Palaeobiodiversity and Palaeoenvironments. 89. 7-52. 10.1007/s12549-009-0002-8.

https://www.academia.edu/3248494/Echinoid_diversity_preservation_potential_and_sequence_stratigraphical_cycles_in_the_Glen_Rose_Formation_early_Albian_Early_Cretaceous_Texas_USA

• I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Congratulations! Nice finds. It's sweet to have your own honey hole isn't it? Yay! :yay-smiley-1:

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Hi,

@oncle siphon

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

2 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Congratulations! Nice finds. It's sweet to have your own honey hole isn't it? Yay! :yay-smiley-1:

yes indeed!! I'd been "stabbing" in the dark for a while trying out different places, stratas, colors of rock.....I have a very general idea of what to look for, but I am not trained in geology or paleontology so I'm kind of teaching myself! Learning as much as I can with the help of the Fossil Forum!! 

Well done.

Jolly nice finds and congratulations on your new spot. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Must be a nice spot! Can’t help with the ID’s, but the specimens are lovely.

thanks y'all! I think I have narrowed them down thanks to some help from FB fossil friends. Pretty sure the first three are indeed Coenholectypus. I was thrown off because the top "points" seem to be off center, but they might just be crushed that way.  The next two are probably Pseudodiadema.

I think you can call your spot "precious"...lol; And echinoids are one of my favorites, the patterning in them is always astounding. 

On 5/10/2019 at 7:47 PM, JamieLynn said:

yes indeed!! I'd been "stabbing" in the dark for a while trying out different places, stratas, colors of rock.....I have a very general idea of what to look for, but I am not trained in geology or paleontology so I'm kind of teaching myself! Learning as much as I can with the help of the Fossil Forum!! 

The more you try, the better you get. The better you get, the harder you try. It's a vicious circle, but heck, somebody has to do it.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!