I’m not even sure this is a fossil? Penarth, Wales UK - Jurassic, Blue Lias?

n8state

I’m a complete beginner so please forgive my ignorance. I found this on my second time deliberately looking for fossils. Honestly, I’ve no idea if it’s a fossil. I did find some other interesting things too but nothing like this.

I’ve researched Penarth and it’s suggested that the formation is early Blue Lias? Or Lias Group and dates to Jurassic period. This was found towards the bottom of a cliff and I do not believe it’s been submerged by the sea.

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Nathan

9368BF4A-EE3A-4759-85B3-D4B0B2180560.jpeg

Thanks @JohnBrewer and @TqB. Now I’ve looked up Gypsum Crust, certainly looks similar. The texture of the bits in the middle vs the rest of the light grey area is different, much more rough but not sure if that’s just a difference in erosion? What caught my eye was the distinctive shape and that the bit above looks similar and of a similar orientation. Either way I think I’ll hold onto it :)

Post some pics of all the other sides, and keep it all in-frame so the entire specimen is visible.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

As water percolates through rock it will concentrate some minerals in discrete layers (forget what the process is called at the moment).

I think that is what this is. So- a concentration of minerals in a layer of the rock, not a fossil.

Maybe @Rockwood can remember what it is called.

Or maybe it was @Sagebrush Steve that I discussed this with.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

43 minutes ago, ynot said:

As water percolates through rock it will concentrate some minerals in discrete layers (forget what the process is called at the moment).

I think that is what this is. So- a concentration of minerals in a layer of the rock, not a fossil.

Are you thinking of dissolution and deposition?

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

1 hour ago, ynot said:

As water percolates through rock it will concentrate some minerals in discrete layers

Are you thinking of liesegang banding ?

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Are you thinking of liesegang banding ?

No. Liesegang banding  radiates from a core and tend to be orbicular in nature. 

2 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Are you thinking of dissolution and deposition?

That is the process that forms the layers, but not the geologic name.

Had a lengthy discussion on the  subject with someone here on TFF about a year age, but not sure who it was.

This is driving Me nuts........

26 minutes ago, ynot said:

Had a lengthy discussion on the  subject with someone here on TFF about a year age, but not sure who it was.

There’s “foliation” but that process doesn’t include water...

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Just now, UtahFossilHunter said:

There’s “foliation” but that process doesn’t include water...

Foliation is the bending of rock by external pressures. Looks nothing like this piece.

3 hours ago, ynot said:

Or maybe it was @Sagebrush Steve that I discussed this with.

No, it wasn’t me. But you’ve got me curious. Hopefully someone will know the name.

1 hour ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

No, it wasn’t me. But you’ve got me curious. Hopefully someone will know the name.

Permineralization? Striation? Stratification? Antidisestablishmentarianism?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

11 hours ago, ynot said:

Diffusion banding? Weathering rinds? 

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/gfl.12056

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

This is from another angle. I think perhaps you guys are right and a layer of whatever(?) has been eroded to leave what it is I can see. From this angle you can see that the feature is raised a little.

On a separate note, I found some other interesting bits and would like some help identifying but I’m not sure on the etiquette for the forum. Would it be best to include one new topic with a handful of specimens or a new topic for each?

4ACA2BE8-5BBD-4BE4-9D27-9023016FE1B4.jpeg

51 minutes ago, n8state said:

I found some other interesting bits and would like some help identifying but I’m not sure on the etiquette for the forum. Would it be best to include one new topic with a handful of specimens or a new topic for each?

It is better to limit the number of pieces in one thread and You can start as many threads as You want.

If there are more than 1 piece in a thread, please number them. And include a scale.

Septarian - like propagation cracks?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

52 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Septarian - like propagation cracks?

Or the shape is right for syneresis cracks maybe ?

• I found this Informative 1

On 5/14/2019 at 2:47 AM, Rockwood said:

Or the shape is right for syneresis cracks maybe ?

Maybe, I would agree with you. :dinothumb:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library