Scylla

4 hours ago, Northern Sharks said:

Sorry I missed you, but the lady I did talk to seemed nice. She probably asked her husband "what forum was he talking about?" after I left.

That is just too funny! Lol

What is the best way of preventing my brachiopod hash plates from Penn Dixie from crumbling apart? 

1 hour ago, BLT said:

This is one of my favorite trilobites from from the dig:

DCC0A3FC-6BE3-4AEB-997F-52466D675154.jpeg

88532EB0-871F-4EFB-B3C6-C9F9EDA7C685.jpeg

F75706AD-5319-4B3F-83CC-AD47E4346CA5.jpeg

50 minutes ago, BLT said:

Another favorite:

47CFB194-AD48-4B0B-BE97-047FBD366B52.jpeg

BB280F33-D44F-495C-983D-E760F68A8515.jpeg

Congratulations on some nice trilo finds!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Looks like you dun real good. Was great to meet you and all the other fossil forum folks. Monica even brought the formum crew brownies of which gus and his kids had multiples.....

• I found this Informative 2

24 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Looks like you dun real good. Was great to meat you and all the other gossil forum folks. Monica even brought the formum crew brownies of which gus and his kids had multiples.....

Guilty as charged. :drool: Monica makes good brownies

• I found this Informative 1

I was happy to contribute :)

Wow, am I ever tired this morning!!!  The border crossing on the way back was MUCH longer than on the way there.  I definitely chose the wrong line - the Canadian border agent seemed to hold up many cars/mini-vans, including ours.  I think he was a little wary when I mentioned we had been collecting fossils, and when I showed him one of my finds as well as an article on Penn Dixie he closed his door and we had to wait.  Then he asked what it was that I showed him - I said a trilobite - he asked if it was a kind of insect - I said it was an extinct animal that lived almost 400 million years ago - he closed the door again - after a few minutes he let us go.  Hopefully our long wait will make it easier for other fossil-collectors crossing into Canada in the future if they happen to get that particular border agent :P

I'll post pictures as soon as my stuff is washed up...

While cleaning one of my rocks from Penn Dixie this morning, this little guy popped out. 

EB735417-BA5D-4696-9A6A-0A9BC259542A.jpeg

52056F66-480E-4C72-A88C-84866CC43297.jpeg

7A7AEF0C-7BA3-4802-B5FC-227F0B27B42E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Yes, @BLT - nice Greenops (and a nice pair of Eldredgeops rana, too!)!  I'm sorry we missed you yesterday - perhaps next year we'll be at Penn Dixie on the same day... :fingerscrossed::)

Here are some pictures taken yesterday:

Group shot #1: Viola (my daughter), Joseph (Gus's eldest son), Gus @Scylla, and Malcolm @Malcolmt:

DSCN4622.thumb.JPG.f4980383bd0eb834b778fd38fd293ce4.JPG

Group shot #2: Joseph, me, Viola, and Malcolm:

DSCN4623.thumb.JPG.3dafc17826db41951cdd29485a8cf30e.JPG

Viola hammering away at some rock before we got called in for the second (and last) time due to the risk of lightning:

DSCN4621.thumb.JPG.038908379c3eb8d9b769b47dede0cb11.JPG

Viola playing in the creek:

DSCN4625.thumb.JPG.870df4f7cf9ccaee4a7fd76c4b0005ed.JPG

more to come...

• I found this Informative 5

Some flattened brachiopods in the creek:

DSCN4628.thumb.JPG.64c4252ba287c56bab585ec8b4947628.JPG

And now on to some of my favourite fossils collected from yesterday...

Orthoconic nautiloid - Spyroceras, perhaps?

DSC00281.thumb.JPG.e9eb992a64a2d58d241d699728263571.JPG

Goniatite ammonoid cephalopod - I have no idea as to its identity because I've never found one of these big'uns before! 

DSC00292.thumb.JPG.0b64f8fdc430264d7a2afae503ac50b6.JPG

more to come...

• I found this Informative 4

A nice prone Eldredgeops rana - there is some damage to the exposed eye, but otherwise it looks pretty good to me:

DSC00284.thumb.JPG.d5babe1deb1ccc4c3fbb37d36918be7f.JPG

A pretty spiriferid (Mucrospirifer mucronatus?) on a rock with some nice pyrite clusters:

DSC00287.thumb.JPG.8c46e3a779d2bb91ff4006e99b41a638.JPG

A flattened branching coral - I found one last year but I can't recall the name at the moment:

Edit: I just looked it up - I think it's Aulocystis dichotoma.

DSC00295.thumb.JPG.7ee50ba76af70536b17cc2d40a43b8b8.JPG

more to come...

A nice hash plate with some crinoid bits and bryzoans.  I'm wondering what the long, pointy specimen is that's in the middle of the rock - any ideas?

DSC00291.thumb.JPG.90995f1cf24344ba1ab715cfd5eb63b9.JPG

This is a weird item - it appears to have some evidence of spines on it - any ideas on this one?

DSC00293.thumb.JPG.89780b4e8bf3ff3583ed4be0a07732af.JPG

Thanks for looking, and thanks for any help offered re: identifications!

Viola and I had a wonderful time yesterday (as usual!).  It was especially nice to meet Gus @Scylla and his family - thank you so much for the fossil gifts - they will be well-cared for by me and Viola. :)

16 minutes ago, Monica said:

Yes, @BLT - nice Greenops (and a nice pair of Eldredgeops rana, too!)!  I'm sorry we missed you yesterday - perhaps next year we'll be at Penn Dixie on the same day.

Thanks! I have been cleaning my rocks all morning and am finding all sorts of hidden treasures. (We literally took a trunk full of rocks home.) After a quick search for trilobites, my husband and I actually spent most of our time at Penn Dixie searching for brachiopods and crinoids. I found lots of hash plates, but some are already crumbling to pieces. :(

We are definitely planning on attending next year. My husband had caught the fossil collecting bug now! Lol. Hopefully, I will get to meet you and Viola then. Great pics! I wish I’d gotten a group pic while I was there. Oh well. Next year! :)

3 minutes ago, BLT said:

Thanks! I have been cleaning my rocks all morning and am finding all sorts of hidden treasures. (We literally took a trunk full of rocks home.) After a quick search for trilobites, my husband and I actually spent most of our time at Penn Dixie searching for brachiopods and crinoids. I found lots of hash plates, but some are already crumbling to pieces. :(

We are definitely planning on attending next year. My husband had caught the fossil collecting bug now! Lol. Hopefully, I will get to meet you and Viola then. Great pics! I wish I’d gotten a group pic while I was there. Oh well. Next year! :)

Yeah, the Bayview beds tend to get crumbly with exposure, but they definitely have the most inflated brachs! Everyone seemed to come away with some good Devonian treasures. Hopefully we'll make it out again in summer or autumn to get our wrecking crew back together. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 hours ago, Monica said:

I was happy to contribute :)

Wow, am I ever tired this morning!!!  The border crossing on the way back was MUCH longer than on the way there.  I definitely chose the wrong line - the Canadian border agent seemed to hold up many cars/mini-vans, including ours.  I think he was a little wary when I mentioned we had been collecting fossils, and when I showed him one of my finds as well as an article on Penn Dixie he closed his door and we had to wait.  Then he asked what it was that I showed him - I said a trilobite - he asked if it was a kind of insect - I said it was an extinct animal that lived almost 400 million years ago - he closed the door again - after a few minutes he let us go.  Hopefully our long wait will make it easier for other fossil-collectors crossing into Canada in the future if they happen to get that particular border agent :P

I'll post pictures as soon as my stuff is washed up...

Blame the long weekend for the lineup, otherwise one can usually sail through (getting into the US, however, can sometimes take a much longer time!). We always keep a few specimens ready to hand just in case the CBSA makes further inquiries, but so far they've just cheerfully waved us through. But that's pretty cool that you got to do some serendipitous education! Hopefully it will make for an easier crossing in the future. :) When we enter the US side, we're always careful to say we are there to collect and not hunt fossils, as they sometimes hear "hunt" with the connotation of involving firearms and live animals! :D Most of the time, Homeland gives us a strange look... "you're here for fossils and not to go shopping or watch the Bills game?" :P 

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Nice finds Monica. I've no idea what your mystery finds are, but I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

Thanks, Roger!

1 hour ago, BLT said:

I know what you mean re: crumbly hash plates - last October, Viola brought home some pieces that were full of stuff, but almost all of it crumbled as soon as we tried to wash it.  The hash plates from Hungry Hollow are much sturdier, so perhaps you can cross over into Ontario at some point and collect from there :)

As for partners catching the fossil-collecting bug - my husband has not, and neither has our son, so it's just me and Viola (for now, at least...)

48 minutes ago, Kane said:

Blame the long weekend for the lineup, otherwise one can usually sail through (getting into the US, however, can sometimes take a much longer time!). We always keep a few specimens ready to hand just in case the CBSA makes further inquiries, but so far they've just cheerfully waved us through. But that's pretty cool that you got to do some serendipitous education! Hopefully it will make for an easier crossing in the future. :) When we enter the US side, we're always careful to say we are there to collect and not hunt fossils, as they sometimes hear "hunt" with the connotation of involving firearms and live animals! :D Most of the time, Homeland gives us a strange look... "you're here for fossils and not to go shopping or watch the Bills game?" :P 

The lineup into the US was non-existent, but the lineup out of the US was enormous!!!  I also think that we chose our line poorly since our border agent was VERY thorough - we were not the only vehicle that spent more than a minute before being released.

By the way - good point re: terminology to use at the border, especially when entering the US - I'll have to make sure to avoid using the word "hunt" whenever possible!

I forgot to include a picture of a little bivalve imprint that I found yesterday:

DSC00296.thumb.JPG.19e34707fa75a2e0c8ddb16ddebe8dcc.JPG

And here are a couple of close-ups of the orthoconic nautiloid (because I love orthoconic nautiloids!):

Here's a close-up of the piece that I photographed earlier:

DSC00298.thumb.JPG.5e614ca33b6b75c4784ec9b5c2771e77.JPG

And here's the other side of the specimen (this is the piece that alerted me to the existence of the specimen - this small piece of rock came off while hammering, and when I saw it I checked the larger piece of rock for the other side of the specimen, and I found it - hooray!):

DSC00299.thumb.JPG.4d7bee0493e13947ccb13069e4ca42ec.JPG

So what do you think - Spyroceras as suggested earlier?

This chunky hash piece is different from all of the other rocks I brought home. I think it is mostly a hodgepodge of several trilo-bits, although I am wondering about the branching lines. Are they crinoids or bryozoa?

E94559EE-9208-4C73-9D45-499A28D690B8.jpeg

15F3D776-0F97-45B4-8FE7-3E92358E4E2A.jpeg

229C4ABD-3DFE-4262-A45D-A9326AB1A5EA.jpeg

D37E3233-32D0-4B8D-B816-AD61D9430872.jpeg

Your second pic seems to have the long lappets of a Bellacartwrightia. Quite uncommon! :fistbump:

Great to see the finds. Wish I could have visited. Just learned about it during surprise NY visit. Maybe another year.

As for crossing US / CA border, terminology and agent can be the difference.  Also, have to be careful with the Canada side as I've read / and talked to a person at the natural office in British Columbia, that the Canadian Gov permanently owns all fossils found there so want to make sure the US finds are well established as coming from there. Kinda bummed about that as I'd hoped to visit a few during drive from Alaska.